SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19706622

Spring garden planning:

User
10 years ago

I don't -yet- have a serious plan for our spring garden. But I do have that itch to begin serious planning, even in the midst of this cold, blustery weather.

A kind soul among you has sent us a few persimmon seeds. All but a few of those seeds have been planted. The survivors will be separated and replanted next fall. When the time seems right, we'll force the rest of those seeds with a damp paper towel in a plastic bag in the fridge.

We're going to plant at least one plant each of raspberry and blackberry next spring, as well - we hope. Mebbe a few horseradishes, as well as a red currant.

During the next semi-warm spell we have this winter, we need to move the heritage rose - now being surrounded by the roots of the Chinese elm tree - so that it will have a chance to survive and grow.

We're also thinking about soil pH -and which products to use - in the flower and garden beds. Soil pH here is a bit high for my comfort, as well as for the comfort of many of the veggies I like to grow.

Most of our flower beds are stuffed full of bulbs and perennials, at this point, but there'll be some alyssum in the front flower beds that will be transplanted to other beds around the property. We still have a number of lavender plants to buy for the lavender bed, as well as another half a dozen rose bushes.
Now, is also time to look at the seeds we have on hand and decide which seeds we should buy for the growing season.

There are also plans to buy things we'll need in order to store the veggies we'll harvest this summer and fall.

We have finished our fall and winter pruning, as well. The strawberries were thinned out and transplanted to other beds. We've pruned the butterfly bushes, in an attempt to force a central trunk out of the mess.

The fruit trees have all been properly pruned for next season. They were all were very young when we planted them, so we may not see anything out of them for another year or two.

Veggies? So far, we've only talked about squash, but we have only just begun to think about our plans for the spring garden.

What are you thinking about for spring and the growing season?

Comments (16)