SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persimmons

BT versus Winter Moths; which brands?

Persimmons
9 years ago

I'm disheartened by the nasty winter moth caterpillars that, for the 4th or 5th year in a row, have nearly defoliated my flowering and weeping cherries. This year they've begun eating at my blueberries which successfully established themselves last spring (I planted them after the caterpillars had subsided). There's a lot of buzz on the internet about BT. Some formulations of BT sprays are more toxic to non-target species than others. UMASS suggests that, due to the invasive nature of the species, farmers and home fruit growers would benefit tremendously from spraying their plants.

My concerns with BT and also with my defoliated trees and shrubs led me to contact UMASS this morning. I'll be updating the thread with the information from John Clemence, a fruit tree pathologist, whom I left a message for this morning. I hope that my combination of anger and curiosity, and my eventual enlightenment on the prevention of winter moth caterpillars, will assist others in South Eastern MA to combat these nasty things.

Additionally, as per the thread's title: Have you purchased BT? What brands did you search through, which brand did you purchase, and where did you purchase it? I'm sure I'll get a response suggesting that I search the gardenweb forum for an answer, but OUR community is the hardest hit by this invasive species, and the information regarding prevention is only growing. I think that, in combination with Claire's UMASS Extension updates, a thread dedicated to BT brands and their effectiveness against winter moth caterpillars is the best way to promulgate a community-wide, environmentally conscious understanding of the pest.

Comments (14)