SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evermore_gw

The Canadian thread

Out of curiosity, I put together a list of the Canadian hosta growers who have posted on the Hosta Forum in recent months. There are more, as Papou's wonderful maps indicate, but some are not familiar to me, perhaps because they haven't posted in a while. The list follows.

It could be interesting to hear from everyone, telling us what your experience has been in 2008 with our favorite plant. It would also be wonderful if others not on the list would add their names and tell us a bit about hosta-growing in their part of the country.

I am constantly in awe of the beautiful results achieved by many on the Hosta Forum. In my opinion, the Canadians who have impressed me most this year are Papou (whose web site is fabulous), McTavish (whose photos make me green with envy), and Wayne T. (who showed us what striking results you can get on a small city property). Ottawa, British Columbia, and southern Ontario all seem to be great places to grow hostas.

But we are spread from coast to coast. Here's the list so far. Can't wait to hear your story!

Garnet69 Southern Ontario

Goldedger (June) Ontario

Moosenoz Grand Falls, New Brunswick

Uroboros Quebec

North53 Manitoba

McTavish (Myrle) Canoe, British Columbia

Papou (Ghislain) Ottawa valley, Ontario

Valleyrimgirl (Brenda) Brandon, Manitoba

Pietertje (Pieter) Richmond, BC

Curlylocks Ontario

Evermore (Steve) Fredericton, New Brunswick

Mum2kmn (Sabrina) Ottawa, Ontario

Canadian-hosta-girl (Chantal) Quebec

Maureen_ottawa (Maureen) Ottawa, Ontario

Mrmicawber (Mike) Kanata, Ontario

Waynet (Wayne) Hamilton area, Ontario

Lovem (Bryan) Ontario

Marn_eh (Marn) Eastern Townships, Quebec

Patty3411 (Patty) London, Ontario

Nbanna (Anna) New Brunswick

Bern_2007 (Bernadette) New Brunswick

Cherylnpickering (Cheryl) Pickering, Ontario

The-gardener-clown (Reggie) Quebec?

Hostarhodo (Betty) Southwestern Nova Scotia

Sue_in_nova_scotia (Sue) Nova Scotia

Hostalavistame

Paullam (Paul) Manitoba

Comments (40)

• jbranch
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is the address of Papou's website?

• paullam
    15 years ago

Gardening in Manitoba is very unpredictable due to our short growing season. I have found this forum very informative and helpful. Having enjoyed gardening most of my life, now that I am retired and the family all gone, my wife and I can now devote more time to it....Sum & Substance was the driving force that made me start collecting more Hostas. I believe I now have 50 varieties but who is counting (probably my wife).

The photos below are a few of my Hostas taken a few days ago.

Paul In Manitoba

• Related Discussions

Canadian Garden Exchange - Seeds/Plants

Q

Comments (1)
    Canadian Garden Exchange Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Garden Exchange
    ...See More

The Canadian Exchange (Post have/wants!)

Q

Comments (8)
    The U.S. Only Hoya Exchange Forum (lol j/k I'm sure they are just trying to avoid appearing to endorse illegal cross-border transactions or something) is here. You can see the link on the main Hoya page, above all the threads (aka "Switch to Exchanges") I believe Keiko is suggesting that rather than resorting to dumping your Hoya trade threads in the general "Canadian Garden Exchange" section, you should just do it in this thread, where all the Canadian Hoya people will see it. And then, say, for example, another Brazilian showed up, Mitzi could start a Brazilian exchange thread. I assume GW won't try and shut it down as long as it's just Canadians trading amongst themselves. Not sure whether or not they would feel compelled to intervene if people were openly discussing trading across borders.
    ...See More

cutting exchange within Canada?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello Helen, I live in Coquitlam and I would not start any own root cuttings until it cools down. 70 to 74 F. (about 20 to 23 max C. ) is the BEST temperature. You could try of course, but you have to expect to loose some cuttings or all. Check out my "Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery" on my web-site. Link below. Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery
    ...See More

Canadians who bought Capital or BlueStar?

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi La Maudite, I was in the same situation as you last year when I couldn't make up my mind between Blue Star and Capital Culinarian. There's a bit of analysis paralysis with features, pros/cons, peoples' opinions, etc... Prices in Canada (as you may know) is more than in the US so making an error could be quite costly. I delayed my decision until I could see both ranges together in BC where I live. BUT...neither were hooked up to gas so no real world experience prior to purchase. I ended up choosing Culinarian because it had more BTUs and looked more finished and the oven door did not get hot. I didn't worry about possible failure and who would fix it...by all accounts Culinarian is solidly built and as you have seen here, recent issues with the simmer, etc. are discussed and dealt with in some form or another. There will be support - especially in Ontario and Quebec. If you really want to try out the Culinarian, taking Trevor's offer (Eurostoves) may be the thing to do BUT you have to fly to the US and how do you get the range? I imagine it is difficult to find a "live" range in Canada, be it Blue Star or Culinarian. I have never seen one in BC, outside of cooking demos and the Miele centre. Using the Culinarian for about 2 months now, I can tell you that it is very powerful. The Kobe hood 600 CFM cannot keep up with it. I need to turn down the heat more often than not because the smoke keeps triggering the smoke alarm. BUT....it is a pleasure to use. Finally, proper wok cooking, fast boil, and sauteed mushrooms! Easy to clean too. Downsides - small oven cavity, must do prep work before cooking even when making multiple dishes, and simmer issues. Too bad you are not in BC...you could try out my Culinarian. :)
    ...See More
  • hostarhodo
    15 years ago

Been collecting for approx 5 yrs. Have 170 varieties. Believe it or not I have not bought a hosta this year. Lots to be moved, the year has gotten away from me again. Where does it go? Dug out 15 still have some in water in wheelbarrows and buckets (did it again E.O). The ones in water last year that I planted in October all grew very well.

Retiring in December, one day I said to myself, how am I going to take care of all these? Decided to clean up the yard, with backhoe tearing apart stonewall (replaced),wisteria,forcythia, old rose and honeysuckle interwined through it all, gave away hugh burning bush, 2 large bridalwreath spireas, flowering crab, cherry tree, plus some others. Replanted 4 large rhodos over to side field, got about 10 well rooted pieces.

People did not realize there was a stonewall/steps there. I saved the old hydrangea, neighbor uses flowers for crafts.

Need to replace deck and some windows and doors in house.
    Do something around cut stone foundation. Make planter on North side, crying out for hostas, already ferns there.

Bought some other plants to put out front with hostas, hopefully they will take care of themselves, Black Lace Elder, Clematis, Ferns, Lenten Rose, Boxwood hedge, I know I should know better, (who will trim the hedge--mmmmeeee)

Have been making new beds, putting down papers and moving bags of leaves and peat moss, need to move some soil from the front of the house, just across driveway, maybe backhoe will help (getting older). Did not like Sassy's Slinky, I think of those things everytime I pick up bags of leaves that I have laying aroung the yard. Do not like to see them, I tolerate them, but does there have to be so many. Did not need to see that while relaxing on the forum.

Out back the large old shed needs to come down, so the insurance says. Backhoe is cleaning up an area over by the hostas, and will dig a trench along the back stonewall. On a hill and water everywhere. A lot of my hostas are in raised beds and I have never had a problem.

First year that something ate the roots of some hostas, put a couple in bucket of water (May)new roots grew. This was with the crowns in the water E.O. They are still there.

Hope I don't run out of time, it gets dark aroung 8 o'clock now. I keep thinking that God willing I will have all the time in the world to pull the weeds next year and for a few more thereafter.

4 year old grandaughter loves gardening. Her other grandmother heard her talking to someone last week and she was suprised at how much she knows. She has her own shovel, bought her a new hat and gloves this year. I tell her the name of a plant and get her to repeat it. (Drill it in as my childen used to say). Loves to pick the blueberries.

Thats my story. Sorry it is so long, but I have a lot to do. If I hadn't planted things so close together years ago I would have saved a lot of trouble. Learn from me all you newbies.

Betty

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Paul, for the welcome pictures of your beautiful garden. And also to Betty for her wonderfully detailed description of her gardening in Nova Scotia. Where do you get the stamina to do all that? I'm guessing, Betty, that you may be in the valley, which I know to be great hosta-growing country.

I hope more Canadians check in here to give us a capsule glimpse of their gardening experiences in 2008.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

For more than just a quick glimpse of what goes on in my Hosta -and other- adventures, just cruise my website, that's what it's there for....

• hostarhodo
    15 years ago

Evermore,

Actually I am in Southwestern Nova Scotia, just outside of Shelburne. My father in law was from Quispansis, N.B.

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

Hi evermore,
    I'm not ignoring your thread. I really like the idea. I've started writing a couple of times and gotten distracted by one of the kids or something trivial like work. I will post again hopefully later today.
    Patty

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

A quick hi from BC. It looks like Pieter and I are the only ones out here. Even though we are both in BC our growing conditions are very different. He is in the mild coastal area (probably the best ever for hostas based on my sisters plants - she lives in Seattle). I am inland in a rather desert like valley. Very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter. It works for me - especially the summer. I won't post and pictures here because I just did a 4 part thread of the big project we did around here this summer. My big complaint? No large hosta specialty nurseries within driving distance of me! McT

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

No large hosta specialty nurseries within driving distance of me!

None around here either, Myrle. I figure they're good if they have more than 25 different varieties, and a few do. A local wholesale nursery distributing plants under the Red Barn label does grow quite a variety and those can be found at some of the smaller more specialized nurseries, such as Phoenix Perennials in Richmond, or Dijkhof's in North Vancouver...

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

No large hosta specialty nurseries around here either, and actually none that I know of in Manitoba. Each nursery seems to carry some hostas but there are no hosta growers that I know of in Manitoba. Even with the local nurseries I have seen hostas that seem to display evidence of the Hosta Virus X...so I have been reluctant to purchase from them this year.

I live near Brandon, Manitoba on an acreage. Our 10 acres overlook the Assiniboine River Valley. Deer regularly walk through our acreage on the way to the farmer's field next to us. Our border collie does a pretty good job of keeping them out of the perennial beds but we have had to place rebar rings and stucco wire around all the fruit trees to protect them. Rabbits are only a problem in the wintertime on my fruit shrubs. Slugs... I received from the many perennials I have purchased over the years from plant nurseries. Snails..well, the valley is full of them, so they are here whether I want them to be or not. Nemetodes...don't have. HVX hostas I haven't had any yet either, none that I know of...fingers crossed... With the purchases I made from garden nurseries, from the last number of years before I knew anything about HVX, I am now diligently watching all the hostas in my yard for any signs of the virus.

I have currently approximately 180 kinds of hostas of which 100 or so are new to me this year. I am trying to more often purchase thick substanced hostas for the yard because they will show no slug damage on their leaves. Some of the hostas are planted under the (dreaded) maple trees in the yard while others are under various shrubs/lilacs in the landscaping. The ones under and near to the maple trees are doing okay, but since I have not been doing the 1.5" watering thing each week(that has been recommended in other threads), the hostas are not nearly as large or have as many eyes yet as they could have been otherwise.

I still have some of the new hostas from this year in pots awaiting their new permanent homes. In the landscaping I am slowly reclaiming a part of my original vegetable garden which turned into a temporary holding garden for perennials and now, I am making walking paths and actually landscaping the area. Lots of work!

This year some of the mail order places I got hostas from were Gardeness Gardens in Ontario, Q&Z Hostas from the States and Pat Vinish, the 'hostageek' in Nova Scotia. In fact I just finished planting up the hostas from Pat this afternoon. I would definitely recommend his hostas to anyone thinking of ordering/buying hostas in Canada. I also love trading and sharing hostas with friends.

I love to collect things and perennials are one thing that I collect. I love to speak at garden clubs on perennials and by request, I will bring along some of my perennials, divided from my yard, to sell after the talk. Each summer I also have a table at the Brandon Farmer's Market with perennials that I have divided out of my yard.

On a personal note, my DH and I have been emptynesters for 2 years now. We have 3 kids, each with their significant other (one is married, one is engaged and one has a steady girlfriend), 1 dog, 1 cat and some goldfish.

Long enough?

Let's hear a little about everyone else in Canada now....

Brenda

• papou
    15 years ago

Here's my summary. I became an hostaholic during 2002 and by 2007, My Collection quickly grew to about 550 different named hosta varieties. I have been amazed by the growth of hostas year after year. They have provided me with great moments of joy and happiness. With approximately 850 hostas surrounding our home, DW Therese and I agreed that this was enough. So I choose very carefully now any new hostas varieties to be purchased. Last year I only bought 10...and this year 6 only.
    Year 2008 was an extraordinary good year for my hostas. It rained continuously all Spring and Summer and the majority of My Collection consists of mature hostas.
    Constructing a Florida screened room adjacent to the house has taken much of my time this Summer, and I have not taken as many photos of my hostas as I would normally do.
    You can now look at over 300 pics on my Website under a new topic called Hosta Leaf Closeup . The leaf pics are in alphabetical order and for that purpose, I have inserted a table comprising 35 groupsthe first being Group A1 all the way down the alphabet to Group Z .
    Papou

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou's Hosta website

• maureen_ottawa
    15 years ago

Hi all,

It's been a pits gardening year for me. I had to dig three beds for the foundation to be repaired. I hoping for a 4-6 month disruption but it has lasted much longer than that. I am now faced with the challenge of replanting my hostas in the next few weeks.

While many of the hostas were potted up and snugged up behind my shed, the slugs had a feast. Sigh.

On the other hand, I did my first shade gardening talk to a hort society. One lady asked how long I had been doing this -- she said I sounded like a real pro.

I can't believe that I've only bought two hostas this year! I have to get out to a nursery this weekend.

Brenda, are you the one that I met in Winnipeg? If so we can do a trade next year for the P. tenuifolia.

Hi Papou, sorry I never made it out to visit. Not only have I been dealing with the foundation work, but my husband set fire to the kitchen, so I had renovation work to do. On top of that, I had to get my daughter ready for university. I think I'm ready for winter...

• stanly
    15 years ago

hi everyone, I might as well join in. I'm from Camrose Alberta, just about an hour south and east of Edmonton. I too love Hostas but I maybe have 25 or 30 and I'm not much of a "collector" like some folks but this year I did buy Guacamole, June, Orange Marmalade as well as a few others. I've taken a few pictures this year so once I learn how to download to this site I will do so. Thank everyone for sharing so many pictures and so much information. This is one of the best places for info I have ever been on and I've been gardening for 40 years. Stan

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

Hey Stan,

I too only have about 25 or so and June was a new purchase this year for me as well. I live in London ON in a house on a suberban plot so I don't really have room for hundreds--otherwise, I am sure I'd be getting much higher in numbers. I have to be careful about what I select ie. pay attention to the 10 foot rule.

We have pretty much clay soil. Hosta's seem to do ok in it here.
    When I first started getting interested in hosta, I bought a few for sale at Walmart at the end of the season for dirt cheap (Regal Splendour, Lancifolia, NOID blue that I showed in another thread which is very like Blue Dimples, and another NOID blue). I left most of these pots outside without special treatment all winter. A few others didn't make it. And these ones came back. Gotta like it.

Anyway, I have since picked up a few here and there to add. My backyard is mostly dappled shade due to a large honey locust tree. Spots get direct sun for periods. The front yard (east facing) gets morning sun for a while before the sun moves behind the large blue spruce tree.

Hosta Choice gardens was a great place to wander through and the previous two years I bought most of my new ones there. Unfortunately they closed this year before the season and the business is for sale. What a loss! I have found a new place about equally as far away but haven't been out there yet - Shades of Green. Does anyone have experience with this place?

Patty

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, and it's great to hear everyone's stories, and especially great to hear from your Papou!

• goldedger
    15 years ago

It's great to hear everyone's stories. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, on a small suburban lot, that is packed with plants, including my favourites... over 150 varieties of hosta. I usually hand water the gardens, as I like to take that time to have a good look at how everything is doing and when it's really hot I get to run the hose over my legs....feels soooo good! So far this year I've only had to water about 6 times (other than the pots)because it has been very wet........lots of rain.........terrific for the hosta, the gardens have never looked so lush. Our water bill will be sooo low especially compared to the drought of last year. The downside is that now I've got a lot of slug & snail damage, nasty slimy creatures.

I love seeing the squirrels and raccoons in my gardens, sometimes their antics are quite hilarious, other times ummmm a little destructive....my poor little "Fire & Ice" has been uprooted 3 times this summer, it's down to a couple smidges of leaves and a teeny tiny piece of crown. Probably a writeoff now.

Only purchased a few hosta this year, Great Arrival, Summer Breeze, Calypso, Snowflake, Lady Guinevere, Avocado, Rainforest Sunrise and a NOID streaker and a few heuchera...love those too. Took forever to find a spot to plant these.....would love to have some of that acreage that a lot of our American hostaholics have. ENVIOUS!!! lol

I was going to include some pics but Photobucket's not being co-operative, it won't upload. Oh well, another time.

That's all I've got for now, looking forward to hearing from others..........June

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I also love to hear other people's stories, so everytime the Canadian thread moves to the top of the list I check it out first.

Yes, Maureen, I met you in Ste. Anne and in Winnipeg in the beginning of June, when you and your DH came out to Manitoba. I had forgotten about the fern leaf peony, but I am glad you mentioned it. Now would be the best time to send you one, since it is a peony. Why not email me privately and we can work out details? Your hubby has my email address because of the siberian irises I got from him in June...which are all doing great, BTW. The sibs were in pots all summer and I just started planting them into their permanent spots this week.

Maureen, how many kinds of hostas do you have in your yard?

Brenda

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

NEWS FLASH!

I am sooo excited! Just discovered that Hosta Choice gardens is going to reopen next May under new ownership - Glenn Wilson & Yvon Trepanier.

Also discovered a few more possible Ontario sources:

Handlebar Hostas in Uxbridge
    GardensPlus in Peterborough

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these places?

Patty

• maureen_ottawa
    15 years ago

Sorry, all. I should have talked more about my poor hostas. I have probably about 100 hostas in my yard and in containers. Most are small or medium sized hostas as I ran out of space to plant several years ago. My new purchases this year were Franscheska and Lakeside Shoremaster.

Good news about Hosta Choice! Can't wait for spring to see what they'll have.

I bought of GardensPlus in their early years. I stopped buying when they shipped a TC of Stained Glass without packing material. The poor thing bounced around so much that it is still recovering after four years. When I complained they said that Stained Glass was a great grower and that it would recover quickly. Not.

• big_foot
    15 years ago

I live outside halifax on a lake where we built a new home 7 yrs ago. When we moved we brought many plants and some small golden chain trees along with about 20 hemlocks ; with building this new house we did not have much time for gardening ; so we trucked in a few yards of garden soil and made a holding bed.Included with the prennials was about 15 pieces of hostas and I began collecting after I finished the house
    The lot is about 1 1/2 acres covered with trees and large boulders and very little top soil so all of the soil had to be imported.
    I now have about 400 varieties of which 87 are new this yr some from Sebright,a few from several mail orders in ont; an few from a local trade;and the rest from the Hosta Geek.
    I now have a watering system which pumps out of the lake which is much better than the well,but because of the wet weather I have not needed it much this yr.
    We do have a few Toads in the garden and in a nornal yr they do keep the slugs at bay ; however because of it being so wet slug damage has been far greater so I have been on a slug hunt the last two weeks.
    I do read the forum about every day and have gotten lots of info and help from the members. I do keep in contact with several members through e mail and plan on participating more often on the form.
    I will post a few pictures when I learn how to again.

• big_foot
    15 years ago

pic as promised But not quite shure i know what I am doing

{{gwi:1079986}}

{{gwi:1079991}}

{{gwi:1079998}}

{{gwi:1080004}}

• aggies_hosta
    15 years ago

Hello all I just happened upon this thread and thought I would put my 2 cents in. I have been in withdrawl since Hostas Choice was closed as I live 15 minutes from Appin. I did check out Shades of Green and she has very nice hostas and is quite knowlagable on this subject. My favorite purchase this year was Earth Angle in memory of our beloved Sheltie. If anyone knows where I can get Chelsea Babe, Chelsea Ore or Omas Sunrise I would appreciate it. I have about 180 named hostas and about 10 unnamed ones but I am working on that. I have been collecting for about 6 years now and an not ready to stop. I just make more gardens. I am aways looking for new or unusual Hostas. Thanks Aggie

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Aggie,

Welcome to the Garden Web! I see that you just joined yesterday!

I bought Earth Angel this year too. I can hardly wait to see what it will look like when mature.

I am assuming that you live in Ontario. I don't know where Appin is but I seem to recall Hostas Choice being in Ontario somewhere.

Brenda

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This thread has already exceeded my wildest expectations. What a delight to hear from so many of you. A special welcome to Stan and Aggie who are new to the Hosta Forum.

Thank you to those who have posted pics of their garden. Big foot, your woodland setting is fabulous. People should also see the wonderful pics posted on other threads by McTavish and Wayne (see Misty Day).

And a very special word of warmth and affection for Papou to whom we owe so much. Papou, you are an exceedingly generous man to have spent the time and effort you have in creating your truly remarkable website. We have pictures of your beautiful gardens, and the kind of detail about size, leaf-shape and coloration, and growth habits that serve so well to educate the rest of us. Even though we have never met, I feel that I know you. In a very short time, you seem to have emerged as the Canadian hosta-grower par excellence. You are a treasure to so many! Thank you.

• aggies_hosta
    15 years ago

Hello all and thanks for the welcome. I read that Hosta Choice is supposed to be reopened again in the spring so that gives me some hope. Appin is in Southwestern Ontario a very small village as are many around here, and gossip flies like the wind, but I didnt hear that one yet about Hosta Choice and I am going to ask around who knows maybe I will find something more out. It will be nice to have someplace close again to just wander and enjoy looking at a beautiful Hosta setting. If I get more info I will pass it along.
    Aggie

• goldedger
    15 years ago

Hi again

Nice to hear from fellow Canadian hosta fans. Noticed the comments about Hosta Choice Gardens and thought I would add this link. The new owners are having a grand re-opening in May 2009. Appin is near London, Ontario for those that want to know :)

Aggie, next spring you'll be able to get your hosta fix! Welcome to the forum.

I found another nursery this summer with a good selection of hostas and many other fine plants too, it's called Lost Horizons and it's in Acton, Ont.
    LostHorizons

June

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Choice Gardens

• papou
    15 years ago

My preferred hosta supplier has been Hosta Choice Gardens. Ugo and Margot were a wonderful couple. I also bought many bareroots hostas from Dawn at Garden Plus in Peterborough...and always have been satisfied. Perhaps not as big plants as Hosta Choice but their prices were lower.
    Over the years I discovered Budd Gardens in Blackburn Hamlet in Gloucester, Whitehouse Perennials in Almonte, and Rideau Woodland Ramble in Kemptville...and these 3 suppliers are in the vicinity of Ottawa which is close to my home.
    Hi Maureen: I hope that you can come and visit me next Summer. Toy Soldier which you gave me as a gift during your last visit, is growing nicely.
    To Evermore: I appreciate and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind and encouraging words. I shall soon update My Collection to include the photos of 2008. Thank you Evermore for this thread. I shall be upgrading the Maps locating Hostaholics and would gladly include the names which you listed above assuming that I am given their address and Postal Code.

Papou

• digs57
    15 years ago

Signing in from Ottawa. I was hoping that my garden, transplanted from another province in 2004, could basically fend for itself this year. Then a relative requested that I become a soon-to-be-defunct-garden's likely permanent hosta-sitter. Before I knew it my garden was being whipped into shape with new garden beds, masses of stinky fresh compost, and new baby hostas cooling their toes in the kiddie pool. It was a ragged time, but all that midsummer madness is now thankfully over.

My theme for next summer will be (unapologetically) to divest: especially the ones that fail the beauty contest. My garden's purpose is to provide me with visual pleasure - if it fails in that, I consider it my duty to rectify. Playing the numbers game is not for me: I'd rather have 50 cast-iron varieties that look terrific all year round than 300 of which 250 are hideous sieves by mid-July. I already have a list, and am checking it twice (mwahahahahhhh!)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

I'd rather have 50 cast-iron varieties that look terrific all year round

Dorothy, I'll bet that list includes Maui Buttercups! Can't help but be impressed by the ones you sent me last year, they're in flower now and that colour this time of year is something to behold.... and here I thought I'd post a picture I took an hour ago, but the camera's batteries died, so that will have to wait for another post. What I CAN show you however is a sport I divided yesterday out of a Deja Blu I received last year:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it survives the winter and looks bigger and better next season.

• north53 Z2b MB
    15 years ago

I've been enjoying this thread, but have been reluctant to participate since I hardly consider myself a hosta 'grower'.
    I garden in northern Manitoba,(hardly a hosta hot spot) and have only recently begun to add to my hosta collection. As others have mentioned there are no hosta nurseries in MB, so I have now discovered the mail order route. Thank you Papou for providing the links.
    Summers in Manitoba aren't especially kind to hostas. The growing season is short, but hot and can be quite dry. We haven't had any appreciable rain in over a month. Another challenge is that the selection of shade trees is very small, especially if you're trying to find one that doesn't suck up all the available moisture. But I'm trying and am learning.
    One thing I've discovered is that I prefer to see my hostas uncluttered by other plants, and also to place them where I can see them easily. I've developed a small bed that is visible from my sunroom so that if the mosquitoes are horrid (and they often are), I can still enjoy my plants.
    Here's a pic I took today of that bed. The small one on the right is Inniswood and was new last year. I suspect that my attraction to hostas will continue to grow, but so far isn't an addiction, lol. I'm now looking in another direction from my sunroom where I think I can expand though....

• ontariohostagrower
    15 years ago

Hi Fellow Hostaholics,

I've been watching this thread for the last couple of weeks since Patty contacted me about it's existence....thanks Patty. My partner (Yvon) and I are the new owners of Hosta Choice Gardens in Appin, Ontario. I thought I should post some information about what is happening with the business so that there is no need for
    rumours...hopefully just excitement. We purchased the business, property and home on August 18th of this year. We have been working with the daughters of the late owners, Udo and Margot Dargatz, since January to ensure that their parent's legacy did not fade. The daughters turned down many offers on the property because the interested parties did not want to continue with the business or wanted to re-name it. Yvon and I listed our home in Victoria, B.C. and after selling we started the long process of buying the business you all know as Hosta Choice Gardens. It was a long process but Susan and Karen (Udo and Margot's daughters) wanted us to have the business as they felt that we were the best one's to continue their parent's dreams. We are for ever grateful to them for their patience and cooperation in putting everything together and working with us thru the transition. Yvon and I are no where near as knowledgeable as the Udo and Margot were but we hope that after a year or so in the business we will have about a quarter of the knowledge they had.. LOL. If we cannot answer a question that you have... we will take the time to do some research and get back to you with an answer. The Canadian Hosta community lost a valuable source of knowledge when Udo and Margot passed but thanks to their daughters the community did not lose Hosta Choice and it's great display gardens. Our promise to all of you is to continue the upkeep of the beautiful display gardens and to offer the most up-to-date selection of hostas in Canada. No more looking at the USA websites and dreaming....were going to try to keep up with new introductions and, when they become available, we will try to get them in for Canadians. If you have a certain hosta in mind that we do not have then we will search out our sources and try our best to get it in for you. If we can't get the hosta for you, but we have one in the display beds, we will put your name down on a waiting list for a division of the display plant. All display plants will be tested for the HXV virus prior to dividing. All of our greenhouse stock will be brought in from suppliers that have tested their parent plants for HXV and other diseases know to effect Hostas. No retailer/supplier, including Hosta Choice Gardens, can offer you a 100% guarantee that their hostas are HXV free but we will do our best in trying to ensure the plants we sell are indeed HXV free.
    When Hosta Choice Gardens closed at the end of 2007 all the existing greenhouse stock was sold out. Our 2009 stock will be all new plants, and although they may not be over-sized, they will be healthy good sized retail ready plants. Inventory that is not ready to go will be posted clearly stating a date that we will start releasing the plants for retail or mail order sales. We will reserve upcoming releases if your willing to wait until they are ready to go(if a deposit is required we will clearly state it).
    The current display gardens did take a beating this year as it was hard for the Dargatz's daughters to travel from the Niagara region to weed and water. They were able to get some staff in, on a number of occasions, but it's always a battle trying to beat weed germination. We are hoping to get things cleaned up before the snow flies so that we are ready for you in May 2009. We will also be working to expand the gardens to work my collection of 800 different named hostas into the existing collection (only about 300 of my hostas match existing display garden plants). We hope to have the largest collection of 'Lakeside' cultivars on display in Canada.
    To finish this posting I'd like to extend to each of you an invitation to our opening on Saturday May 9/09. Come view the display gardens and help us celebrate the lifes of Udo and Margot Dargatz with the unveiling of a new hosta garden in their names. After the unveiling we would be grateful if you would join us for a bbq and live entertainment. Further details will be posted when our new website comes on-line January 15/09.

Hosta-la-vista ....for now,

Glenn Wilson
    Yvon Trepanier

• ontariohostagrower
    15 years ago

Sorry gang I didn't proof my post above after I sell checked. I appears that spell check switched HVX to HXV...sorry.

Glenn

• aggies_hosta
    15 years ago

Glen and Yvon
    I am so thrilled to hear that Hosta Choice will be reopened in the spring.It sure will be a very long winter. I will spread the news around here that you will be reopened again as I have some friends that are Hostaholics too. I know they will be happy to hear this wonderful news also. I am only 15 minutes driving from Hosta Choice and I loved to go there and just wander and dream and make up a wish list but I never left there empty handed. I had heard the gardens suffered abit this year so if you need a helping hand just let me know on this thread, I would be very glad to help pull weeds and bring the gardens back to their full beauty. Aggie

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Glenn, so THAT's where you and your plants disappeared to...wondered what happened...good luck in your new venture!

• goldedger
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum Glenn. Very nice of you to update us with yours and Yvon's plans for Hosta Choice. The gardens there were beautiful and inspiring, we look forward to seeing them once again. It's great to know that Udo and Margot's legacy will continue.

With your collection added the dispaly gardens are going to be even more amazing. My DH and I look forward to visiting in 2009.

June

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Canadian Thread has been a great experiment. It was wonderful hearing from so many about their gardening experiences across the country. Before we get to the fall clean-up, here are some observations about gardening in the Maritimes for those who might be interested.

All three of the maritime provinces are great for growing hostas, and 2008 was exceptional with all the rain we had. DW and I visited Prince Edward Island in August, and it certainly lives up to its reputation for being the Garden Province. Besides the endless fields of potatoes, everyone in rural areas has two or three acres of immaculately mowed lawn around their house with neat rows of flowers, shrubs, and lots of hostas (mostly the old-fashioned ones). I know of no hosta collectors or nurseries on the Island, but would recommend Red Lane Gardens in Belfast for anyone interested in daylilies. They ship across Canada and the US, and the selection in stunning.

New Brunswick is home-turf for me, and there are quite a few hosta collectors, including a few with 500 or more named cultivars in the Saint John-Rothesay area. Inland, in Fredericton, where I live, the best source for hostas is Rowans. They grow beautiful plants in greenhouse conditions, with at least 100 different cultivars each season. I rely on them and a handful of other local sources for all my choices, although by many standards, I'm still a pretty small collector. There are no major hosta nurseries in New Brunswick, but if you want hardy roses, you can't beat Corn Hill Nurseries. They propagate their own and ship across the country. Also, well worth a day visit.

If you're visiting New Brunswick, put Kingsbrae Gardens on your list. It's in St. Andrews (on the New Brunswick-Maine border) and in every way it matches this delightful, old seaside resort in its picturesque quality. Hostas are not a specialty here, but there is a very nice shade garden, and gardening ideas or inspirations from around the world. The heather garden is the best I've seen since the Royal Scottish Botanical Garden in Edinburgh. Kingsbrae ranks among the best public gardens in Canada.

Last week I was in southwestern Nova Scotia, and there is plenty here to entertain any gardener. Yarmouth is a jewel. Lots of old fashioned hostas everywhere, but the thing that thrilled me most were the blue hydrangeas that seem to thrive in the moist sea air. I wandered through some of the residential streets with their great Victorian houses (a lot like St. Andrews), and everyone had lush green gardens with those blue hydrangeas everywhere.

I didn't stop in Annapolis Royal this time, but would highly recommend the Historic Public Garden there, with its beautiful examples of 17th and 18th century classical gardens, and lots of roses. Hosta growers in Nova Scotia (and there are quite a few) have the Briar Patch Farm and Nursery in Berwick as a reliable source of several hundred cultivars. Big foot and hostarhodo have already given us more info on Nova Scotia - obviously a great place to garden.

This might sound like a tourist promotion, but how can you resist?

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you watch the Weather Channel, you know that folks in the maritimes are battening down for Hurricane Kyle, scheduled to hit southern Nova Scotia and New Brunswick at about six o'clock on Sunday (today).

Here in central New Brunswick, we have already had deluges of rain - about two inches - with as much as three inches more forecasted. Our friends in the U.S. are usually the ones to get hit by hurricanes, but every now and then, we get one too.

I've been piling deck chairs and taking down umbrellas. The hostas should be fine, but let's hope no trees fall on us. Looks like I'll have an excuse not to get at preparing new hosta beds for awhile.

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    15 years ago

Hello all...guess I'm a little late to the party. I love hostas and daylilys (especially together). I grow a few daylilys from seed I buy on the lily auction. I do not have a hugh selection of hosta but the ones I have seem to be getting away from me and will need to be moved (or more likely those arround them moved). Here a few pic's of mine.
    JUNE, STRIPTEASE, BLUE ANGEL..heuchera is dales strain:

CHRISTMAS TREE, INNISWOOD, UNKNOWN, AND way in the back...gordian cup...daylily is chicago picotee memories

• papou
    15 years ago

oh oh...just read this thread over. With all the excitement I forgot about my promise to undertake updating the maps showing hostaholics. I hate to make a promise and to break it...I will do it eventually but when?...not sure...

Papou

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Another Hosta grower here in Ontario zone 5b