SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohhnatasha_gw

Ground Cover in Flower Bed?

ohhnatasha
12 years ago

Hello all!

Just wanted to preface my post with saying I am a very, very, very...very new gardener. Did I say very?

Anyway, my first gardening project is to re-do a sloped flower bed. It had some growth in it, not sure what, but I've pulled nearly all of the roots out and will be sifting the soil to clear out any small bits this upcoming weekend. Since the flower bed is sloped, I was thinking that I would create 3 or 4 "terraces" and therefore have 3 or 4 flowerbeds. The whole space is situated between a staircase and our garage, about 8 ft in length and 2 ft in width.

My vision was to have 4 tiers of beautifully blooming flowers. But then I realized that once the gardening season passes, I am potentially going to be left with a big patch of brown dirt in the winter.

My question is, does anyone have any tips or suggestions for how I can keep that area from going bare in the winter? Obviously it will not be blooming with color, but I would like to at least keep it somewhat green. Will a ground cover interfere and take over my flowers? Can anyone recommend any short bushes? How do Shastas fair with daisies, zinnias, and like flowers?

Comments (7)