SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

Re: Spin out promotes a fibrous and healthy root system

irawon
11 years ago

The company (SePRO) that makes the spin out root growth regulator states that the spin out (or copper hydroxide) "stops elongated root growth and stimulates the develoment of secondary and lateral roots promoting a fibrous and healthy root system." The company recommends treating the inside of plant containers with spin out to promote better root growth.

Texel Inc. makes Tex-R spin out fabric and spin out bags or agroliners but only sells to retailers and as far as I know the products are available with only one side being treated with spin out. I don't know whether spin out itself is available for use by the ordinary consumer.

From my research online I've learned that nurseries first used the agroliners with the spin out treated side on the inside to contain the roots of trees and shrubs for later sale. From hosta growers here on GardenWeb I first learned that they use these bags inside out to prevent tree roots from invading the hosta planting hole.

Now I'm wondering whether double bagging the hosta planting hole so that there is spin out on both the inside and the outside of the hosta planting hole would be advantageous to the hosta? The spin out on the inside would stimulate the growth of a smaller, denser and healthier hosta root and the spin out on the outside would stop the tree roots from invading the planting hole.

This is my question to those of you who have used spin out bags/ agroliners: Is there any disadvantage (other than cost) to double bagging so that you have spinout on the inside too?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths