SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Gold Medal Winner

mctavish6
15 years ago

I'm so proud of my little sister. Last night was the awards for "Edmonds in Bloom". She won a gold medal for her garden! Edmonds is between Seattle and Everett Washington. She and I have been working, changing, her garden for years now. First I made her get rid of ALL grass. It was full of moss and took up valuable space. That was years ago. The garden has evolved since then. Her passion for hostas has grown as mine has. We obcess together. This year I was down visiting and helping her in February and March. Hostas grow like weeds down there. Everything is always getting overgrown and having to be moved around. We moved many, many plants. She has a wonderful raised planter area built a few years ago and now needs more like that. In the meantime we removed roses that seemed to only produce black spot. That's the area you'll see in the front, towards the street with the little brick edging. We were limited by our physical strength (being 2 old ladies) so lots of monster plants went into barrels or the largest size planters. The newer plants ordered this year are in the "blue" area. This triagular garden is what I think will need to be made into a raised garden next year. Leading Lady (the man eater) may take up the whole thing. Here are some pictures of before and after. The latest ones I have are from June.

In the next pictures you can see the two level brick planter. She needs more of these. The blue pots, new plants, are on the left. This is where I think she's going to have to put Leading Lady next year.

http://

This is in the backyard. Up in the corner is a memorial garden for beloved pets. This is what started the renovations in the first place. Each barrel has plants in memory of a pet with names that are appropriate. Golden Friendship and Faithful Heart for Copper, a beautiful Golden Retriever. There is Lakeside Black Satin for Bastian a black persian cat. This year she lost Kurt, a parakeet. His garden includes Angel Feathers and Mourning Dove.

And finally, here are the weirdest ones of all - my sister and I - she's in green and I'm in red. This was her doing so I'd say she's as nuts as the rest of us.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County