SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
restorephoto

Lindera Glauca salicifolia PHS Gold Medal

restorephoto
15 years ago

I just did a quick search on GW for any comments on this new PHS Gold Medal winner, but found nothing.

I've done a little searching via Google and find conflicting info regarding the hardiness of this shrub. The PHS site says zones 5 to 7, but others are saying 6 to 8. I'm on the border of 5b and 5a.

Does anyone here have any experience with this shrub in zone 5?

One reason for my interest in this plant is the fact that it holds its leaves into the winter, making it a potentially nice addition to the shrub border for screening purposes.

Thanks...

Comments (5)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of the Asian Spice Bush that you asked about. This is what it looks like now and for the rest of the winter. It does indeed hold onto its leaves. I can't help you with your question about zone 5 but to me they really look like large, dead shrubs all winter.
    {{gwi:2120121}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is the time stamp for real ...

sam is answering a 5 and a half year old .. never answered post????

never saw that before ...

ken

• sam_md
    8 years ago

A grouping of Asian Spice Bush in a parking island. If you look closely they are loaded with black berries. Notice all the leaves from last year on the ground, the leaves of this plant are like plastic.

• restorephoto
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ken, I believe that time stamp on my original post is correct! I finally bought a single small plant via mail order in spring 2011. I originally had it in a location where it got too much shade and didn't do anything for two years. I moved it to a sunnier spot and it's doing great, but I lost two years of growth. Mine (in Indianapolis) looks more reddish today than the above photo, kind of a pastel orange. It'll be a few years, but I think it's going to be a very nice plant.

Tom

• User
    8 years ago

Talk about loyal GardenWebbers.