SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariev_seattle

'Royal Raindrops' crabapples and Crape Myrtles as street trees?

mariev_seattle
14 years ago

I'm trying to decide what trees to plant in the parking strips around our house. Currently, there is just grass, which we will eventually remove and replace with drought-tolerant trees and perennials. I'm considering "Royal Raindrops" crabapples along the east-facing parking strip and Crape Myrtles along the south-facing parking strip.

There's a large pair of pink Crape Myrtles a block away from us that bloomed beautifully this past summer. Is that typical for Crape Myrtles planted in parking strips, or is that just because last summer was unusually long? I've also noticed several very young (trunk less than 1" thick) Crape Myrtles planted along the street on Latona just south of 65th, but those were probably just planted this past year, so it's hard to tell how well they'll do.

Since the Crape Myrtles leaf out so late, I'd like to plant spring-flowering trees along the east-facing strip. I've read about and seen photos of the "Royal Raindrops" crabapples, and I like that it has dark-pink spring flowers and good fall color while being resistant to diseases. I saw a very small one without leaves at the nursery, but I'd like more information from anyone who has one in their yard. Are the leaves more greenish-bronze or purple here in Seattle? I've seen leaves in both colors on the Web--is that due to differing amounts of heat or sun?

There's a 40' tall holly tree on the south-east corner of our yard and our house is pretty tall, so the crabapples would probably only get about 6-8 hours of sun during summer and less during the rest of the year. Is that enough sun for a crabapple?

Also, I realize I'll have to water these trees for the first several years, but I'm hoping they will be more drought-tolerant when they're established, so I won't have to water as much during the dry summers. Does anyone have more information about their drought tolerance here in Seattle?

The south-facing strip is 9' wide x 40' long and the east-facing strip is 12' wide x 50' long, and there are power lines running along the east-facing strip. Will these trees get too wide for this space and too tall for the power lines?

Thanks!

Comments (13)