SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Crape Myrtles?

joannemb
14 years ago

I am looking for a flowering white tree to plant in my front yard (fairly close to my house.) I am in Cleveland Ohio--which I thought was zone 5, but some sites list it as zone 6? At first I thought a white flowering cherry would be perfect, but now I'm not sure that the shape will be a good fit. I think I'd like something a bit more wide and natural rather than compact/umbrella like the cherry.

I have been googling my heart out trying to find the right fit, and I can't seem to find it---would love some suggestions! I LOVE the crape myrtle trees (especially the red ones, but because I'm planting tons of double knock-out red roses along the porch I'm worried it will be too much red, and that the reds won't match.) So, I thought maybe a white crape myrtle. When I go on the ordering websites, they list Ohio as a zone that is fine for this type of tree.... However, everything I read seems to point to the fact that it doesn't do well in the cold and is more of a southern tree. Any thoughts about this type of tree? If you think it would be a bit risky, any other suggestions of trees that are similar in shape/flowering white? Thanks so much!

Comments (3)