SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cascadians

Desperate to vanquish mud = flagstones, reseed, plan to moss

cascadians
15 years ago

Finally at end of December made the 3-year-since-planting mark. 3 years to establish trees, about 200 trees 3 years old and about 100 since then in various stages.

We spent a fortune 3 years ago on Fleur De Lawn aka EcoLawn seed. It's very beautiful stuff but the slugs ate all the flowers. For 2 years the grass and clover did very well, like having a fluffy chia pet for a yard, but last fall everything disappeared. Back to brown earth, and mud.

I don't like mud or brown. Want green, rolling lush emerald green. Don't know why the grass disappeared. Too much shade?

3 years ago put down one long walking path of rustic basalt rocks with fleur de lawn in between. The rest of the yard never firmed up on the grassy walking paths but stayed muddy ruts. Slipping and sliding, afraid would break legs.

So after all the ice and snow damage, and heavy pruning for the 1st time in January to mark the 3-years-in-the-ground now-you-can-prune, I decided to save my legs ankles and sanity and have my yard guy put in flagstone walking paths everywhere. 5 tons of sage green thick quartz patio stone and 14 cubic yard of 4-way-blend dirt (one big dumptruck) to raise the ruts for walkability. And about 20 lbs of erosion control grass / clover seed.

Yard guy super efficient, has artistic eye and strong back, all done, what a relief. Just need to jet hose off a few more stones and I'll actually be able to safely walk around out there. Also fertilized the entire yard with Lilly Miller Rhody & Evergreen food for acid-loving plants, which they LOVE, yummy!

Still mourning my croaked Eucalypti and hoping they'll come back from the ground or trunk in Spring. Lopped all the split shattered tops of magnolias. Lots of ice damage in the yard, and browning from endless freezes.

But at least now I can walk. Had to do something to make it bearable. Hoping the 300 swamp trees' roots grow under the flagstones and rain / watering gets under there enough. Very high water table in winter, good rain will turn yard into lake from underneath. But summers way tooooooo hot and dry.

Now if this grass disappears I'll figure it's getting too shady and will coat everything with moss. Bought the book Moss Gardening by George Schenk and this spring will coat all walls of all retaining walls with moss. Use the tops for walking. Already quite a bit growing naturally. Then will hunt for rich fluffy varieties of ground moss.

The only other thing I think would survive is miniature ivy which I really like but my partner thinks we'll be spending all our time in a few years cutting it off the 300 trees, so moss it'll be. Moss can be utterly gorgeous!

Green green green anything to make it all green ...

Comments (20)