SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #4

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous threads:

All of the threads in the Birds and other mobile features in the garden series prior to 2012 are now stored in the New England Garden Forum Gallery. See the top of the main page to switch between Discussions and Gallery. For 2012, see the links posted in Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. I'll try to have these threads moved to the Gallery soon.
And for 2013:
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #1
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #2
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #3

............................................................................................................................................

Ever since the epic turkey fight I've been seeing one tom at a time in the yard - neither of them looking injured. Today two showed up at the same time and there was a little half-hearted posturing but no fireworks. I'm not sure if these pictures are of two different toms; I think so but I have trouble identifying individual turkeys. Somehow they both look melancholy (one has nyjer seed on his bill). Maybe the breeding season is just winding down and these two were forced to stay on the fringe.

I'm seeing a few hens now, but usually only a few at a time. The others may be off in the woods with eggs.

And on a whole different scale, I'm still seeing a Red-breasted Nuthatch, a very personable little bird even if it isn't a turkey.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, May 27, 13 at 17:25

Comments (69)