SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

Need a new front yard tree - C. florida?

paigect
17 years ago

I had to have my big front yard maple taken down and now my house feels positively naked. It's weird how much it's bothering me. So I'm trying to decide what to plant in its wake and I can't get over wanting Cornus florida (flowering dogwood). It's the tree species that speaks to me above all others. Am I nuts to invest in this tree given anthracnose, powdery mildew, etc?

I did some googling and found a UConn study that said that Anthracnose is not as big a problem in CT as in other states. In other words, it does happen, but it isn't always fatal to the tree. Powdery mildew appears to be a bigger problem, according to this one study.

This tree will be in the front/center of my yard, in full sun, with plenty of circulation and moist but well drained soil. Might that reduce the risk of powdery mildew?

There are only two other flowering dogwoods in my neighborhood, so the tree is not as ubiquitous here as in some places. Actually, C. kousa is much more popular. Perhaps that means all of the C. Florida were killed off years ago?

I guess I'm looking for what others in NE have experienced with C. florida. Have you lost any? Kept any?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)