Magnolia

vtmc

I live just outside of Washington DC, in northern VA, and am looking for the largest kind of Southern Magnolia I can find. It will be used as a blind to the home behind me. The home is higher up in elevation than mine and quite large so I need a magnolia that will get as tall and wide as possible. The tree will be planted in a wooded area so there is also not much sunlight. From what I can find on the Internet it looks like the Brackens Brown Beauty or Claudia Wannamaker would work best but I can't really find much information on the different types of Southern Magnolias. Does anyone have a suggestion?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

If you are referring to the magnolia grandiflora then I believe the biggest would be a standard ordinary tree rather than a variety.

Save    
back40bean

I agree with the previous post. I once lived in a house where the lot behind was quite a bit higher. I transplanted magnolia seedlings from around the yard and they formed a nice screen and grew quickly. Most, if not all cultivars will be shorter. They are bred that way so that they can be used in smaller areas.

Save    
getyourleash(z7 Mid-Atl USA)

Swamp magnolia unless you want to wait a lifetime for a hedge.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trees Great Design Plant: Southern Magnolia, Iconic U.S. Native
Massive, fragrant blooms and deep green leaves set Magnolia grandiflora apart from other large shade trees
Full Story
Landscape Design Great Design Plant: Saucer Magnolia
Witness its glorious spectacle in early spring, but this specimen tree brings other delightful visuals to a garden too
Full Story
Northwest Gardening Great Design Tree: Star Magnolia
Winter-blooming magnolia is a stellar plant for all seasons
Full Story
Craftsman Construction is a luxury custom home builder and remodeler. Our company focuses on luxury residential... Read More