SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

Can I grow a kiwi vine in Portland? Need help laying out garden!

ellen_portland
17 years ago

We are first time home owners and I have a good sized yard that I am attempting to start "designing". (10,000sq ft lot, tiny 876sq ft cottage) The home was a rental for 5 years so we had many overgrown shrubs, small fruit ? trees we've cut back and raspberries ;-). All I've really planted back there is a small Magnolia soulangiana, a Japanese maple cutting, a Forsythia and a Butterfly Bush...heavenly bamboo and obedient plant. Havng a yard I can do what I want with is new to me- I have only been a rabid container gardener before and that was in California!!

I'm on a tight budget so I need to do it in stages. I thought I could start with vines to cover the old fences and then tall shrubs and then work my way forward into the planting beds.

In looking through my "what grows in Portland" books, I saw Hardy Kiwi listed and though it says you need a male and female plant, I thought it might be fun to try it?

We have an active 7 year old and will be surprising him with a golden retriever puppy at the end of March, so I need non toxic and can't be going nuts if he wants to play back there. We will hopefully be building a large run for the dog, but he will only be in there while we are not home.

OTHERWISE I need to unleash my dream of wild cottage garden... too much to ask? It's pretty sunny except for the north facing garage wall.

Thanks for reading this far!

Ellen

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths