SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Anybody here use cold frames for winter harvest?

Hi guys,

I posted this on the Four Season Vegetable Gardening forum, but I guess things are slow there (never posted there before) and I'm getting anxious for an answer. After all, lol, I only have six months to plan this!

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience in using cold frames to prolong the season through winter for greens, root veggies, herbs, etc.

I read Eliot Coleman's book last fall, too late to really do anything this past winter. But I'd like to try my hand at winter gardening this coming winter.

The side edge of my driveway, as it runs along the house into the back yard, comes up completely to the house, so there is the concrete foundation of the house meeting the asphalt driveway. It faces southeast.

I'm toying with the idea of placing some cold frames here, hoping to use the considerable heat thrown off on sunny days in this location.

Can I place the frames on the asphalt? Do I need something on the bottom to help/hinder drainage? What depth should I make the frames since they will be on asphalt, not on the ground?

I haven't decided just yet what I will be growing, but I'm thinking along the line of lettuces, spinach, carrots, beets, onions, maybe some herbs. I figure the lettuces and spinach and herbs will do okay, but I'm more concerned about the root vegetables.

Any suggestions/ideas/similar experiences or situations?

Thanks so much!

:)

Dee

Comments (4)