SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojave_gardener

Tree Collards are DYING !

9 years ago

Hi,
I already have tree collards, and they were doing extremely well.
I planted them from cuttings last fall. They did well over the mild winter, without any damage from the one cold spell we had.
I planted them along the side of the house in a raised bed where they get full sun most of the day. Irrigation is via Netafim drip tubing that wraps itself well through the planting area with (0.9 gph @ 12" spacing) emitters running twice a day for 10 minutes a day.
Soil is moist, but not saturated. There is good drainage at the bottom of the bed so there is no standing water there.
They were planted in a mixture of commercially available planting mixes. The planter depth is about 2 1/2 feet deep.

They were about 5 feet tall, when there seemed to be a die back of the lower leaves,
first yellowing, then browning and falling off. The problem progresses upward, killing
off more and more upper leaves.

Downed leaves, extremely dry, have the consistency of rice paper, disintegrating when crushed.

This is the first summer they encountered. Since it's Las Vegas, the temperatures
reach well over 100� daily with night time temperatures in the 80�s. Almost no humidity.

Could it be that they were getting too much sun?
I have looked and don't see anywhere how much sun they need.
Could it be just too hot for them to survive?

I am going to salvage a few cuttings to root before whatever is affecting them kills off the entire plant.

My question would be, will they do well in partial shade? I have some areas that are
tree shaded part of the day.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Randy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations