SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esudina

Why Do We Do It? Musings From A Heartbroken Hostaholic

esudina
15 years ago

Why do we do it?

Why do we get up at the crack of dawn, half asleep, to spend an hour or more watering our beloved hostas? Water prices are high & supplies are dwindling, yet we generously quench our hosta's thirst without thinking about it twice.

We have never ending quarrels with our spouses because they "don't get it". "Why did you have to buy 20 more plants? You still have 10 in the bucket outside. Are you coming in or are you just gonna keep staring at the plants for another hour? Why do you give more attention to the hostas than me?" etc. etc. My wife even suggested that she'd try to find a hosta costume on Halloween so that I pay more attention to her...;-)

Why do we do it?

The economy is in shambles, a lot of us don't even have job security & savings are hard to maintain, yet going to Hallson's & dropping $100 or more is done without hesitation or a second thought. Why do we spend countless hours on this and other forums, day in and day out, sharing our joys & our sorrows as if it was one big disfunctional family that we are trying to nurture? We quarrel together, we laugh together, we learn from each other. We coo over other's pictures (as we do with baby pics) & hope & dream that ours will someday resemble these beauties. Why do Ken's hailstorm pictures almost bring a tear to our eyes & pain to our hearts, even though most of us don't even know him? They are just plants, right?

Why do we do it?

We spend hours & $$$ searching the web for curatives, amendments, fertilizers and information, ensuring that our hostas will survive & thrive, when this could be devoted to other projects. We have cracked fingers & sore backs. Foul under our finger nails & tired hands. Yet we continue day in & day out to labor in our gardens, despite all odds (sometimes insurmountable), with the devotion that only a parent affords to a child...

Why do we do it?

I have had a tough two days; lost my Dream Weaver to Southern Blight & maybe my beloved Super Nova & spent all day trying to find a cure, which, even though successful in my quest, set me back almost $100. Money that I really need, but did not think twice about spending. Ordered 5 more hosta "to numb the pain". A few minutes ago I noticed that my precious 5 eye Paradigm is being attacked, rather aggressively, by foliar nematodes. It's as if I've been hit by a truck. I almost went into panic mode. After I post this, I'll spend whatever time I need searching the database, the internet, researching, copying, and eventually proceed to try to salvage my baby. And it got me thinking:

Why do we do it?

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County