How do you remove a giant century plant?
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
How do you get rid of a giant rose bush?
Comments (9)Get someone with a pick-up (and a strong bumper) to come over, back it up reasonably close to the rose, tie a chain or very strong rope to the bumper and around the base of the rose (after you have trimmed off all the top branches in about 1-2 ft lengths to be disposed of), and drive forward slow but steady to pull it out along with most of its roots. Now you can chop/saw it up some more into smaller, easily disposable pieces. You might have to repair the lawn a bit in a few places afterwards, but that is easy compared to digging up an old well-established big rose. I've never done that with a rose, but that is how we dislodged a stubborn Crepe myrtle tree/very tall bush--and that thing did not want to let go of the ground! (Don't worry--we dropped it into a big pre-dug hole at the back of the property, watered it generously--nearly excessively, in fact--and it is still growing and blooming 8 years later.) Kate...See Morei am in need of serious help!!! how do you grow giant tomatoes?
Comments (8)It sounds like it should be good enough for a 1+ pound tomato to me. Delicious has never done all that well for me, others have done much better. I am also under the impression that watering every day encourages shallow root growth which causes them to dry out fast and not go deep searching for the moisture and nutrients like they should. I do not know if this will work or not, but here is what I have done. Two soil tests this spring said that my soil is in excellent shape basically, with only a couple of elements like zinc being a little low. From ammending heavily over some years, the clay beneath my topsoil has become conditioned so that I am convinced that it holds nutrients and moisture much better than it did in the beginning, and that roots can go deep into it. I recently obtained a trailer load of premium aged, composted and have spread an inch or so on the surface of my . I then opened a deep furrow with my plow and put strowed a generous strip of the horse manure in it, followed by an equal amount of my good home made compost made of many diverse fruits, veggies, shredded leaves and kitchen scraps, along with a strip of fine some handfulls of epsom salts and some powdered all purpose fertilizer like you put in a hose end sprayer. I then covered the row and soaked it down good to settle and work until my little are big enough to transplant. I am running late with them, health reasons delayed my getting them started, but by the time they are ready the ground should be good and warm and the danger of frost past. I have a number of the varieties that have the genetics to make big tomatoes, including Big Zac, Mortgage Lifter, Big Beefsteak, Neves Azorean Red, Burpee's Porterhouse Beefsteak, Supersteak, Box Car Willie, Amish Big Rain Bow, Cherokee Purple, Aunt Gerties Gold and a few others. I grow as a hobby for taste, and productivity but have not tried anything extra for a big tomato like pinching blooms, pruning etc. thus far. I may devote one or two plants of a couple varieties for that this year, to see if some will beat this that I grew last year. I had several others of similar size. I do use soak hoses and lots of good shredded oak leaves for mulch and deep soak my rows when needed. If I get anything worth bragging on, I will come back and post a picture. Bill P....See MoreWhat plants do you want to see giant-ized?
Comments (13)since giants tend to be marginally edible anyway how bout a giant okra onion bean or corn. as a matter of discussion on the giants are any of you familiar with giants in anything but anuals? I know there are a few comercial examples like a bigger strawberry and apple gurneys peddles but i have never heard of cmpetitions, as to popularity i think I read a british book and it was popular there before it became a USA thing. I suspect australians and new zealanders do it too as they are adept horticulturists probably india and the orient as well anyone who grows giant goldfish and 3 inch trees no doubt dabbles in giant fruits and vegies. I would guess harvest fairs and comparisons are world wide passtimes....See MoreHow do you remove grass from growing inside a hydrangea?
Comments (7)I think you are playing with fire if you try to do it chemically! What zone are you in and how old is the plant and how big? Can you take some photos? Have you mulched or used ground covers under your bushes? I have more than 40 hydrangeas and grass is not a problem because the root balls are solid enough to keep out grass. If it is really a bad problem, then I would dig up the plant, wash off the roots and pull the grass out from the bottom. Make sure to pull any roots under the root ball and then pop the plant back in the spot where you lifted it. Don't be afraid to dig up a hydrangea - especially for a few hours. Be careful not to cut too many roots but most hydrangeas are pretty shallow rooted and easy to dig. After you replant - be sure to water well and you might have to add some new soil, but be sure to mix it well with the old soil. Mulch the plant well. The mulch will not only keep the soil moist but prevent more grass or weeds from under your hydrangea. Do not add fertilizer at this time - you don't want to encourage new growth that will be killed by the first cold weather....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Remove Water Rings From Wood Tables
You may be surprised by some of these ideas for removing cloudy white water marks from wood surfaces
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Ostrich Fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris)
Try this giant among ferns for a showstopping sight in a shady or even somewhat sunny woodland garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESWe Bust 4 More Native Plant Myths
Have you been taken in by these fallacies about gardening with native plants?
Full Story
INSPIRING GARDENSNative Plants Bring 10 Southern California Front-Yard Gardens to Life
Rare plants, rain gardens and wildlife habitats are just a few of the features showcased on the 2016 Theodore Payne Native Plant Garden Tour
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGreat Design Plant: Retreat to the Shade of Hardy Catalpa
Big foliage and a towering height provide a shady respite in summer, but that's not all hardy catalpa offers dedicated gardeners
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNConsider a Plant as Living Sculpture
If traditional garden art isn’t really your thing, plant living art instead
Full Story

HOUSEPLANTS8 Essentials for Healthy Indoor Plants
Houseplants add so much to our homes — and can thrive when grown in the right conditions. Keep these tips in mind
Full Story
TREESGreat Design Plant: Sabal Palm Enchants in Balmy Sites
Towering and tolerant, this tree blends in, stands out and happily stars in vacation photos
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES8 Plants That Snobs Love to Hate — and You'll Love to Grow
Don't dismiss these common annuals, perennials and shrubs — there are reasons they've been popular for so long
Full StoryMore Discussions
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)