Where to get wild blue berries native to east Texas area.

GraceNmercy

I am getting ready to do a habitat enhancement project on about 33 acres of land in Frankston Texas. I'm planting loblolly pines and post oaks on some of the pasture areas, and several types of oaks, hickories, allegany chinkapin, and chestnuts that are about 95% american. There is a lot of beauty berries and other brouse cover for wildlife, but I would also like to pant about two varieties of native blue berry along the creek bottoms or in some of the pine flats. Does anyone know where to get native rabbit eye and highbush blue berries? These are the two Texas natives that I know of.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Can't speak from experience, but google came up with some links to vendors. Even though I was looking for the rabbit eye, some of the vendors in the first page have hits for the southern highbush as well.

Searching on the botanical name can help greatly with results.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: google results

Save    
helmore55

I just gathered some chinquapin nuts from the New Waverly area. Have you had any luck planting chinquapin a from seeds?

Save    
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Bob Wells Nursery carries at least a couple named rabbit eye cultivars. Have not used them myself, but recommended by some Dallas berry growers.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Native Plants Great Native Plant: Grow Wild Quinine for Its Unique Clusters of Blooms
Get connoisseur cred and unique blooms with this uncommon plant. Bonus assets: It’s low maintenance and drought tolerant
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Wild Lupine Dresses Up Rocky Gardens
Spiky blue flowers and a high tolerance for poor soil make this plant ideal for tough sites
Full Story
Gardening Guides 15 Native Flowers That Feed Native Bees
These perennials offer superfood to hundreds of bees and are gorgeous in their own right
Full Story
We have earned an unrivaled reputation for crafting the finest glasshouses and greenhouses money can buy through... Read More
Cellko is a full service remodeler in Northern Virginia. We approach each project, from kitchen remodeling to... Read More