SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Irrational Exuberance Redux

I can't resist dragging out this old thread on New England Seasons - Traditional and Real,

including this section on wanting to get planting too early in the season:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Posted by claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 17:19

Well, we seem to be safely out of Forum Freeze-up Season now, but Irrational Exuberance Season Redux is upon us.

This is the season when a few warm sunny days bring about a frenzy of plant shopping and plans to put new seedlings outdoors - even when snow is forecast for mid-week and night temperatures are hanging around freezing.

No matter how many times the sensible person screams "Last frost is not past yet!" and "Wait for Memorial Day!", the crazed gardener pulls off the mulch and engages in serious plant endangerment.

(I speak as one who has started the clean-up, and has a number of new plants shivering in a pitiful shelter).

Claire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 13:47

Ah...Irrational Exuberance Season Redux could not be sustained when cold weather returned for a while (this is early northern spring, after all).

So it has been followed by Irrational Despair Season .

Come the next few warm days of spring and a few intrepid (foolhardy?) plants are showing signs of life even though the rest of the garden just sits there. Or looks irreparably damaged.

And the wail rises - "My beloved perennials/shrubs/bulbs/vines/trees/whatever are dead!"

And now the sensible person makes soothing sounds, murmuring - wait, wait, all is not lost, Mother Nature has been through this before, your plants may be OK. Give them time (like after Memorial Day).

- Claire (who is learning a lot from this seasonal process)

RE: New England Seasons - Traditional and Real

Posted by marie_of_roumania z6 MA (My Page) on Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 22:43

on memorial day, new england gardeners pause to remember all the brave plants that froze to death waiting for memorial day.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)