Can I cut back milkweed without damaging it?
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 20 years ago
Related Discussions
How far can I cut back bush without damaging
Comments (9)Given that pollarding--the drastic, annual cutting back of branches to the main trunk--is employed on many woody plants, chances are that you could not kill or seriously injure this plant by cutting it back. That's not a guaranty ... just a prediction with high probabilities. But Spring is a better time to do serious cutting. Now, it'd be best to limit cutting to just what will solve the window-covering problem. (Hard cutting produces lots of tender replacement growth which is not what you want if potential freezing is just around the corner. Foliage needs some time to "harden off" before frosts.) In the springtime, everyone knows how foliage seems to suddenly burst out of dormant plants. Just before this happens is a great time to do major pruning. This allows a plant's stored energy to be put to best use ... growth where one wants it. In this case you might decide on the height you like. Determine (from past observation) how much height this plant will add when it takes the "leap" during the growing season. Deduct that amount from the desired height (in anticipation of new growth) and cut it there. If the plant is a rampant grower, this will be a drastic cut. If it's a modest grower, it will be a more reasonable amount. Part of this equation also depends on how many times a year you are willing to cut. Factor in height removed with the number of intervals of pruning. Cutting in ANTICIPATION of growth is my preference; it has some advantages over cutting in REACTION to growth. Chances are good that this is NOT a dwarf Lorapetalum (if indeed that's what it is) like you need, but instead, one of the big fatties that make nice, small trees. You might consider replacing it with something better suited, or get used to hard pruning or that which is constant and ongoing....See MoreCut back milkweed stalks at end of season?
Comments (4)I have already cut back most of mine to about 1 foot because of the aphids. They keep coming to what's left up, but I keep blasting with the hose. I tend to treat most of my perennials like bulbs; I keep up as much undead stems up until they're fully gone for the season. Don't know why quite honestly. Unfortunately my tropicals are blooming beautifully so I must keep blasting with the hose, at least until the frost hits......See Moreplease help: pruning after frost damage - cut back or replace?
Comments (1)I would give everything a bit longer before giving up on it. My perilla always dies back to the ground, then grows back to giant size by summer. I haven't looked at it this week but 2 weeks ago it still showed no signs of life. And I've had crotons lose every leaf, only to come back strong. Looks for tiny leaf buds along the stem. Brown fronds on palms can be cut back to the stem. Just don't damage the growing tip of the plant. Our local garden guru always recommends leaving partially brown fronds on as long as you can stand it because so long as there is some green there, they are helping to enrich the plant. It's spring so it's a good time to feed everything and see if you can kick it into faster growth. Good luck!...See Morecutting back frost/freeze damage????
Comments (4)Ditto the advice. You can trim off "fried" (dead) leaves (they will end up smelling bad) but DO NOT touch the stems/trunks of bushes/shrubs/perenials until after the last frost. There are some things you can cut to the ground, like gingers. Also, keep in mind that what may look DEAD in the spring may not be. I had a 15 yr. old, 7 ft. potted ficus that got "killed" in the Dec. '02 hard freezes (I was out of town & DS didn't cover it.) In the spring I cut it down to stumps, but b/c it was a sentimental gift, I couldn't toss the lifeless thing, even in June, with NO signs of growth, just stumps. It started coming back to life in July and within 2 yrs, had grown back to it's former beauty....See More- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESAsk an Architect: How Can I Carve Out a New Room Without Adding On?
When it comes to creating extra room, a mezzanine or loft level can be your best friend
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
LIVING ROOMSIdeabook 911: How Can I Make My Living Room Seem Bigger?
10 Ways to Make a Small Space Live Large
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe '70s Are Back. Can Ya Dig It?
No need to cringe. These 21 groovy blasts from the past are updated to look fabulous today
Full Story
MOST POPULARSee the Difference a New Back Deck Can Make
A dramatic 2-story porch becomes the centerpiece of this Ohio family’s renovated landscape
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: How Can I Tell a Construction Crew to Pipe Down?
If workers around your home are doing things that bother you, there’s a diplomatic way to approach them
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES7 Ecofriendly Gardening Ideas That Also Cut Chore Time
Spend less time weeding, less money watering and more moments just sitting back and enjoying your healthy garden
Full Story
LIFEWe Can Work It Out: Living (and Cleaning) Together
Run a household without fussing and fighting with these ideas for how to work together on household chores
Full Story
THE ART OF ARCHITECTURELaser-Cut Focus: The Future of Design Is Here
Discover how this laser technology can make almost any pattern a reality
Full StoryMore Discussions

kwoods