SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmwende

please help: pruning after frost damage - cut back or replace?

hmwende
16 years ago

Hello everyone!

I have VERY good news. I followed your advice and left everything alone and thankfully much of it came back. Thank you all for helping me to get through it. For a refresher on my story visit this post with photos:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0123382214022.html

Almost everything has come back except for none of the Parilla Magilla or Ixora Nora. Should I replace them now assuming they're gone? I still have a few potatoe vines, joseph's coat, and curly crotons that I'm hoping will come back. How long should I wait to see if they will grow before replacing?

All in all, we spend over $6K on the new landscaping and the loss is probably under $500. We are very happy. It was certainly depressing over the past few months.

So, now, I don't quite know how to prune the palms. The travelers palm leaves are all brown. There were 5 stalks and the two outer ones fell off themselves. However, the three that are left are green but the leaves are completely brown. How would I prune this? Do I cut it all the way down to the ground? After reading here about how many people don't like the traveler's palms due to maintenance, I've actually started to consider replacing it, but I love the look so much. Would a triangle palm be better?

My fishtail palms, areca palms, and adonidias have very brown leaves in some areas with other areas still being green. However, most of the leaves that are brown still have green stalks. All three palms have new shoots. How do I prune these? Do I cut the green frond off at the base next to the trunk?

Ixora nora - I see no growth. Do I cut it back to the ground? Or is it time to replace?

Curly crotons - I see growth coming out from the ground. Do I cut back the dead parts to where the new growth is coming out?

Hibiscus and Bouganvilla - one half looks dead while the other half is prospering. Do I cut off an entire half of the plant?

Mature crotons - show no signs of bouncing back. Replace them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Traveler Palm

Comment (1)