SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamimo_gw

grubs in mulched beds?

mamimo
18 years ago

Earlier this year, I prepared some beds in the backyard in anticipation of doing some fall planting. I laid down sheets of newspapers, some compost and topsoil, and covered it all with wood mulch. Some shrubs were also planted in those beds, but most of the space was uncultivated. Most of the shrubs are doing ok, some even put in some growth.

Now I'm trying to plant stuff in these beds and I'm finding big, fat, c-shaped, white grubs everywhere I dig. Even little 6-inch holes have at least 2 grubs each! They are so Disgusting!

I know we had bad japanese beetles problem earlier, but the backyard was mostly void of grass (new yard). Except for these prepared beds, the backyard consisted mostly of assorted weeds and bare soil.

So here are my questions:

1. what did these grubs in the beds eat to get so disgustingly fat? I thought they eat grass roots, which we didn't have much of a few months ago? And what are they doing in my beds? I thought they were only a lawn menace?

2. Will they chomp up the roots of my newly planted babies? Will they migrate to the newly grown grass and decimate those?

3. What should I do now? I did notice a few grubs in July and sprinkle some sevin on those beds then, but not the lawn, since there was no lawn to speak of then. Guess that didn't work ...

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Comments (9)