prairie lilly? Look what I found on my farm

steelskies(5)

I was so excited to see these growing in my "prairie". I never noticed them before, although years ago, I found just a couple near my wetland area next to our planted field. Are they turks cap? I know they weren't planted there.

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

It's either Lilium superbum or L. michiganense. If it is L. michiganense the veins on the undersurface of the leaves will feel very rough. I'm leaning toward that one since the style appears to be similar in color to the petals and the anthers don't look very long. In L. superbum the style is usually greenish and the anthers are relatively longer.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

...plus, the siting in a wet area, (the other ones, not these) leans towards michiganense, does it not? I do know my son has the latter in floodplain forest near his home. Nice!

+oM

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

I think it would depend on the wetland. I've only seen L. superbum on floodplains (both forest and meadow), but in addition to prairies I have seen L. michiganense in fens both here and in WI.

Save    
steelskies(5)

different picture

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Get Your Prairie On
Have a field day with your landscape, even if you've got just a few modern containers on a paved path
Full Story
Gardening Guides What Prairies Teach Us About Garden Design
Wild spaces offer lessons for home gardeners about plants, pollinators and the passage of time
Full Story
Sarah A. Cummings, founder and principal of Hillside Manor Decor, is an award-winning American interior designer... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More