SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylmi

Ohhh, look what I found today!

marylmi
17 years ago

Sorry to mislead you, but just had to share! :)

We found the cow & calf this morning, prob. born last night. To make this post legal...this is a picture of my new crackled bunny! lol!

{{gwi:1417520}}

Comments (33)

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Mary, don't you just love how very white the white is on new babies? That is a cute bunny, too.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi2all, yes the white is like snow- at least it is after the mom get done cleaning them up! This is our first calf so far. We have thirteen more to go. The first few calves are always exciting then it's "oh, another one." lol!
    I saw the bunny at Walgreens & didn't get him, but then decided I had to have him!

• Related Discussions

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, don't you just love new babies? How darling he is. ;o) Brings back memories of growing up on a farm. You're going to be busy with thirteen more coming. Isn't it just so fun to watch them running and playing when they are little like this? Good luck with the others, and thanks for sharing pics with us.

Glad you got your bunny too--we love those around here too.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Mary, What a pretty new baby! How sweet is that! And 13 more to go? Wow, you will be busy. Congrats on the new little one. And on the bunny. He is sweet too.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvstocraft, Thanks for the good luck wishes,it is always so sad to find a calf that didn't make it. We try to watch them pretty close but of course at night or the wee hours in the morning is when they may have them. Yes, it's fun to watch the calves all running together....and the mothers running behind them trying to figure out which one is their calf!

sandi, thanks, when I tryed to coax the calf over to the fence for some closer face shots, the mother took it across to the other side! Didn't want her baby coming over to me! lol!

I like the finish on the bunny. I have looked all over and haven't found hardly any bunnies. Maybe next year!

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Well, Mary in this case I'm more interested in the darling little calf. Congratulations to you and the mama!!

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Very cute calf - soooo, whatcha gonna name him/her?

Sal

• judithva
    17 years ago

Aw, ma ma and baby are so sweet together, it is always nice to be reminded about the miracles of life!

• tammy518
    17 years ago

Aw, very sweet! Also love your new bunny.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Minnie, Craftylady, Judith and Tammy.

Craftylady, since it is a girl, and Easter is not too far away, I was thinking about 'Lilly'. Or....maybe someone has another choice of a name??? Any suggestions?

• lorinscott_1
    17 years ago

What a cute calf....Lilly seems a good name for her!

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

I love the name LILY, one L like the flower. That is our first gdaus name!
    Mary you must tell us more about your cows. That is a beau new calf, Spring, new life.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Well, this is totally off-topic, but it is about new born calves. My brother has cows and one horse and a few weeks ago when he came home from work he noticed a new baby calf. His favorite cow, "Bessie" (how's that for original? LOL) was trying to get to her calf and the horse was running her off. The little calf was following the horse around everywhere. He finally got the calf separated from the horse and into another pasture with it's mother. The horse stood at the fence for 3 days kicking it trying to get to the calf until they moved the horse a couple of pastures away. I had never heard of anything like that happening, but I've never raised cows either.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

And that's NO BULL?? I think the horse had calf envy and wanted the baby. Now I am an animal psychologist too. But if you don't believe me,, ask Dr. Phil.

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Sandi, I can believe that. I didn't know all the things animals could come up with until DH started farming. I've often wished we had a video camera long ago.

One time we did have a cow try to steal another cow's newborn. DH was still working at his full-time job then.
    I just happened to look out and see two cows fighting. Risking life and limb, (mine) I intervened. The calf was going to get trampled if I didn't do something, and the new mama didn't have a lot of strength to fight back. I did manage to get mama and baby into another place without getting myself killed. I was a braver soul then than I am now. You couldn't pay me enough now to get in with cows that were having a disagreement.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Wow, this is like wild kingdom! Hi2, I didn't know you were farmers! The closest I got to that type of intervention was 6th graders fighting and me trying to pull them apart. The girl said she had razors hidden in her hair. Yikes. I got punched a few times during my career. Still, I couldn't let them kill each other, but it is frightening. I don't know if I would intervene with cows and horses though!!!! Brave lady.

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, I have never heard of that happening with a horse!
    hi2all, I have seen that happen with cows too, they can get very determined! Yes, you can be risking your life for sure.

kathleen, that would be scary with the kids fighting and having razor blades. Well, I used *cow* psychology one time. We had a cow that was sick and wouldn't eat for several days no matter what, so I suggested putting her sister in with her..and by the end of the day she was eating right along with the other one! Even the vet was amazed. He didn't give her much hope.

"Lily" will be the name of the new calf. Another one was born tonight just before dark. Mom was cleaning it up! This is fun..you guys are great!!!! :)

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Oh, I can't wait to tell my just turned 6 yr old gd that a newborn calf is named Lily. She loves animals!!
    Congrats on the newest one, wow, things are busy there!

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Razors in her *hair*? Good grief, Kathleen! You are the brave one. Sixth graders are enough to handle on a good day, much less when they are fighting! I really wasn't that brave -- just younger and dumber. lol

DH has some serious health issues, and had to get out of the farming business a year or so ago. It was a shame, because that is something he really wanted to do, and he was very good at it.

I got punched a few times during my career, Oh my, you should have gotten hazardous duty pay. My great niece teaches first grade. She says she wouldn't be able to take having the older kids now.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Mary, what's the latest count on the newborns, and names??. Hmm... how about Seamus, and Michael if they are boys??? LOL
    Keep us updated!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Kathleen, I've never heard Seamus before. Where did that come from? Sort of an unusual name--maybe from a story you've read???? Luvs

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Seamus is Gaelic for James. Pronounced Shaymus

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all, we now have a total of five. One cow had twins yesterday! Thought it was just the usual '1' but when we went to get her, the other one was laying down the ditch a ways. We have them in the barn & trying to make her accept the one calf. We *think*, she thinks, she only had one! Glad we didn't have any today, we were tired!

I was thinking of naming all the girls after flowers since Lily was the first one named. Boys names for future use please? Seamus & Michael could go on the list kathleen!

hi2all, did you have a large herd? we have cut back and this may be our last year also as DH has arthritis in his knee & it has been bothering him alot this past year.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

How exciting, twins, I bet you are tired. Snap a pic when you can. It is Holiday related..Spring, new life, Easter!
    Good luck with the rest of the deliveries, and thanks for putting Seamus and Michael on the to be considered list!!!Lily is taking the pic of the calf in to Kdgn for show and tell, the Lily calf!

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Hi2all, I'm sorry to hear your DH has health issues and had to give up farming. It's really hard to give up something you love.

Mary, Congrats on all of the new babies. Twins? That's great. I hope the mother accepts the other little baby. Naming all of the girls flowers is a cute idea. We want to hear all of the names. And I'm sorry your DH has arthritis and may have to give up your babies.

Kathleen, That is so cute that Lily is taking the pic of the calf to show n tell. You would think that a teacher of young children would be a lot easier than older children, but it sounds like you had your hands full at times.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Aw, I love cows. (so much that I have cow kitchen decor) Thanks for posting your cute pics. I miss living in the country. Wah! ha
    If you have more on the way to name... I always liked the Bordon cow named Beauregard or maybe you could shorten it to Beau. Belle or Haylee would be cute for a girl but aren't flower names. Blossom is cute, still not a flower name. Lets see what are some cute cow names...Marigold, Thistle, Daisy, Heather, Pansy, Petunia, Clover, Rosemary, Buttercup, Myrtle, Jasmine....
    Ok, I'll stop. Have fun naming them and hope they all come safe and healthy. :) ~Anj

• hi2all
    17 years ago

Mary, we were not real big farmers like some folks. When he sold out, we had forty-eight cows and forty-six calves plus the bulls. We ran black Brangus. We kept the land, but rent it out now. It sure seems strange sometimes.

Sandi, thanks for mentioning DH. It has been hard for him to adjust to life with chronic illnesses. He was always very active and a can-do kind of guy.

Mary, good luck with the calving. Hope you can get the mama to take her other baby. We had to go through that once or twice. Maybe Sandi's brother's horse would take it. haha

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

I love baby cows...

• marylmi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a picture of the twins born on Wednesday. The mother has been letting the white face one (first born) nurse so that is a relief. We are keeping them in the barn for a few more days. You can hardly see the mother laying close to them. She is black. I named the twins Petunia & Pansy, thanks anjabee!

{{gwi:1417521}}

kathleen, that is so cute about taking the calf picture to school!
    sandi, this is the second year for twins. They are so cute but more work if the mother rejects one. The white face calf was so muddy when we brought it up to the barn in the tractor bucket!

anjabee, thanks for the name ideas. I wrote them down & even tho Blossom isn't a flower it is part of one and I like it! Your kitchen sounds so cute!

hi2all, that is about how many we had before cutting back. Sorry about your DH having to give it up. I know it will seem strange for us too when we sell them.

terri_pacnw, yes, they are really cute when they are little!

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

exactly..when they are little..
    I grew up around Herfords..My grandpa had one female (he used them to raise his "beef".) LOL She would let us sit on her, and she loved to be brushed or "combed" with a horse brush.
    My mom was raised on a Dairy Farm in Up State NY..They had Holsteins..
    I love spring and the fields full of babies...

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Mary, congrats on you new babies. Wow, imagine giving birth to those!!!
    Thank you for the pics! Can you really tell them apart.. My mom had 4 girls and she always called us by the others names, LOL

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Mary, The twins are just so cute. What about the 2nd twin? Is the mother letting her nurse? And if not, are you bottle feeding? I hope she's ok.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Too cute Mary.

Sponsored
More Discussions