I'm new

BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
I'm new to this forum. I'm mostly on the butterfly forum. I am looking for natives that when they flower attract butterflies. I have so much milkweed it's almost a problem.
Thanks
Jacob

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Lots of options for attracting butterflies. Some readily available natives include joe-pye-weed, blazing stars, bee balms, coneflowers and ironweed.

Save    
edlincoln(6A)

Oodles of options...although being Zone 4 might limit you somewhat.

What kind of site do you have? How much space, what kind of soil? What kind of plants do you want? Bulbs, ground covers? Are you looking to plant a meadow, a tiny border planting, a tree?

Wild Bergamot/Bee Balm is generally considered the "gold standard" in terms of native bee attractors. Catch is it is an aggressive spreador and susceptible to powdery mildew. Echinacea is also a good choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful Link

Save    
Iris GW

Goldenrod/Solidago is a fall butterfly magnet as well, especially monarchs. Some species are aggressive and some are not. Research your options to find one that works for your region.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Winter Gardening 6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
For over 20 years, we have been providing standard and custom craftsmanship in the design, fabrication and... Read More