Northern Catalpa?

slice4444

I'm trying to figure out what this tree is in my neighbors yard. It has huge leaves and looks pretty tropical for being in central NY. The picture(s) shows a branch that got broken off with a quarter next to it to show you the size. I think it may be some type of Catalpa Tree

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like Firmiana simplex, that leaf on the other side of the stem looks right but the front one is oval shaped. Also called Chinese Parasol or Varnish Tree. There is one growing up the street which has a green trunk and stems. Its kind of different due to the green trunk but it can be a noxious invasive, its non-native.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Slice, that leaf looks right for northern catalpa. Are there any of last year's seed pods still present on the tree? These resemble long, thin bean pods, albeit, they'd be brown now, not green.

+oM

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design Great Design Plant: Retreat to the Shade of Hardy Catalpa
Big foliage and a towering height provide a shady respite in summer, but that's not all hardy catalpa offers dedicated gardeners
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Garden Combo: 6 Beautiful Plants for a Shady, Wet Site
Transform a shade garden with moisture-loving golden grasses, textural leaves and a sprinkling of flowers
Full Story
Landscape Design Great Design Plant: Paint the Summer Landscape With Desert Willow
If the vibrant flowers of this Southwestern native tree don't blow you away, the hummingbirds, fire resistance and low maintenance will
Full Story
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More