HELP... My Echinacea Purpurea Fell Over... What Should I do?
13 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Discussions
Echinacea purpurea
Comments (8)I think those finches were pretty hopeful if they were still picking in April! Mine finish off the seed heads by the end of fall. Sometimes there are 2-3 finches fluttering around each plant. I LOVE to watch them eat those seed heads, they are right outside my kitchen and they are all over the echinacea, heliopsis and black eyed susans this time of year. I just have to pull some seedlings in the spring but you can tell they prefer the flower heads to all my bird feeders. What a bummer to have a garden with no birds. I grow dahlias for flowers to look at and cut, and the seed-heavy plants are there for the birds....See MoreHelp - my plumeria fell over
Comments (1)Not sure why this would have happened after being in the ground for 4 years. However, as you know, plumerias have a relatively shallow root system. Combine that with wet soil and maybe a sudden gust of wind and it could happen. I've had plumerias that are in the ground, (just for the summer) blow over during 40 - 50 mph winds associated with hurricanes and/or tropical storms. Sounds like you have already done all you can do by staking it back up. John...See Moredead leaves never fell of my Japanese maple. Should I remove?
Comments (9)I'm in zone 6 for those who wondered... I'd never had issues with my potted maples before...and this was my first year that I even wrapped the pot with leaves, bubble wrap and burlap for the winter months. Guess that may not have been enough with this prolonged winter.... ;-( Also my plant is on an (elevated) balcony which only exacerbates any cold conditions... There's no last ditch effort I could try...maybe like 'pruning' all the branches just above a 'knob', to see if it stimulates some new growth? I suppose I could also try to scrape the bark a bit and see if I see any green underneath? And if I WERE to see green underneath, but yet still no new buds, then would conclusion could be made then? Tx!!...See MoreHelp! What should I do for my Echeveria?
Comments (17)It isn't possible and probably not wise to try to eliminate every single bug...there are many beneficials out there too. Rather than using any preventative sprays, one should make sure plants are healthy: they should have excellent drainage, good light exposure and good air circulation. Farina doesn't come back after it was rubbed off. It is there for a reason, which may not be as crucial if plant is growing indoors; but it is perhaps unsightly. Sometimes it is difficult to handle plants without touching leaves, just try to avoid it if possible. Outside, which is better for the plants to be if possible, it is more important - but plant still shouldn't die :) It is normal for oldest leaves to dry up, shrivel and fall off. But aging leaf and water logged leaf are 2 different things, they also look different (I am not saying your plant is waterlogged, you can tell by touching it). How did the one that fell off already looked? And having another one doing same thing doesn't sound right - but plant could be also recovering from a transplanting. So do not panic, just watch it. It should really recuperate within next few days. And having it in better draining mix helps too. This one is outside - got rained on yesterday. I is in very gritty mix:...See More- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Echinacea Pallida
Plant pale purple coneflower in perennial gardens or informal prairie plantings for spring blooms, bees and butterflies
Full Story
EXTERIORSHelp! What Color Should I Paint My House Exterior?
Real homeowners get real help in choosing paint palettes. Bonus: 3 tips for everyone on picking exterior colors
Full Story
SMALL SPACESDownsizing Help: Storage Solutions for Small Spaces
Look under, over and inside to find places for everything you need to keep
Full Story
DISASTER PREP & RECOVERY7 Ways to Help Someone Hit by a Hurricane
The best things you can do in the wake of devastation are sometimes the most surprising
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDecorated Houses Help Save a Detroit Neighborhood
Art's a start for an inner-city community working to stave off urban blight and kindle a renaissance
Full Story
MOST POPULAR9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
LIFE12 House-Hunting Tips to Help You Make the Right Choice
Stay organized and focused on your quest for a new home, to make the search easier and avoid surprises later
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESYou Don't Need Prairie to Help Pollinators
Woodlands, marshes, deserts — pollinators are everywhere
Full Story
ORGANIZING4 Questions to Help You Organize Your Favorite Photos
Organize your keeper photos with a system that's just right for you, whether it's in the cloud or you can hold it in your hand
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE10 Low-Cost Tweaks to Help Your Home Sell
Put these inexpensive but invaluable fixes on your to-do list before you put your home on the market
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions


carol23_gw