SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianscot

does a new Xeriscape need a Irrigation System?

dianscot
16 years ago

Hi, we are planning our 1/3 acre landscaping (90x150' lot, including house), and wish for it to be xeriscaped and mostly native plants. At least 85% of the plants we have chosen fall into the xeriscape category, the only exception is a couple patches of lawn for contrast. We have rainbarrels for catching roof run-off, and will hook up soaker hoses to these to water with.

Our landscape architect is NOT familiar with xeriscaping or native planting (but there were no professional alternatives in the city I live in- it is not very 'progressive'). I had to do most of the research for the landscape plans. My concern is that he has tried to convince my husband that we need to spend many MANY $1000's to install an irrigation system so that the plants can get established in the first few years. He has told us that it would take 'all day, every day or 2' to water these plants, for the first few years. Even after that, it will be 'often' that they need watering.

I think this is wasteful, both resource and money-wise. Our summer season is only 3-4 months maximum (our winters get to -30degrees!), and these are mostly evergreens that grow wild all around our province (state). The whole reason for xeriscaping is to reduce water use and save time as a bonus.

Can someone please comment?

Thanks!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored