SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Childhood in North Jersey - Now in Huntsville, Alabama

meadow_lark
19 years ago

Hi All!

I am from Wanaque (Haskell) in North Jersey... I spent many summers at my Grandma's cottage on Brigantine.

I loved growing up in Jersey. Our yard had purple lilacs from one corner to the other, lily-of-the-valley, hydrangea, forsythia, white birch trees, a large rock garden, pussy willow... you name it. And the trees in the Autumn so very beautiful to me that I named my daughter AutumnÂ

We used to drive around the Wanaque Reservoir during all of the different seasons, just to see the changes. Went to Ringwood Manor all of the time, broke my right leg tobogganing down Thunder Mountain. Ate at "Windows on the World" at the Trade Center several times. Mostly spent my time hiking all around the area (287 now runs right across my old stomping grounds). Wanaque was a great little town to grow up in.

I moved to Florida when I was 18, and NEVER stopped missing the northern plants. "Someday" I'd say to myself... I'm going "home". The tropical plants in Florida donÂt have anything on the beautiful flowering shrubs of the northÂ

Well - I'm now 46, and 4 years ago, hubby and I moved to Huntsville Alabama. (He's from Texas - this is as far north as he would take me...)

Okay, to make a long story short - I now have my lilacs, lily-of-the-valley, hydrangea, forsythia, pussy willow and many of my favorite "northern" plants. I love Alabama (it looks very much like Wanaque back in the early 60Âs.)

Guess IÂm feeling just a little nostalgic. I lurk in the Jersey forum, just because it makes me feel good.

I just want to say "Hey YaÂll" to all you Jersey folks, and tell you that my home may be in Alabama, but I am a Yankee, thru & thru.

Meadow Lark

Comments (25)