need replacement for honeysuckle shrubs

sunleafmoon

Thank you for tuning into this question! I hope some of you native experts out there can offer advice.

I've been taking out the invasive Japanese honeysuckle shrubs between my home and a busy road. I'd like to continue the work, but the reduced privacy and traffic noise is pretty discouraging. If anyone knows, please tell me what shrubs and/or small trees might be good replacements:

---partial to full shade, under upper-story deciduous trees

---semi-moist lowland area by creek (thick euonymus ground cover)

---dense foliage needed for sound muffling and privacy

---fast growing!!!

I've been thinking about Blackhaw, Serviceberry, Rough-Leafed Dogwood and Spicebush, but don't know which would best fit the conditions and, importantly, grow FAST!

Thank you for any help you can give me!

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

I think the shrub dogwoods (rough-leaved being one of them) would probably grow the fastest in a semi-moist lowland.

If you were to go to a natural area that is similar (like a state park), what might you find there? I try to take my clues from those places (if possible).

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Northern Bush Honeysuckle, a Bronze Beauty
It helps control erosion and takes sun or shade. The butterflies love it. But the best part of this shrub may be the vivid foliage
Full Story
Blue and Gray Foliage Great Design Plant: Kintzley's Ghost Honeysuckle
Looking for a versatile plant with beautiful color and texture? This unusual honeysuckle may be just the ticket
Full Story
Pink Honeysuckle: Inspired by Pantone's Color of the Year
13 ways homes can wear this confident shade of pink, Pantone's color of 2011
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We take pride in the fact that our finished product is sprayed and never rolled or brushed. Your final product... Read More