SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zahzeen

Alternative uses for bonsai planters

zahzeen
14 years ago

As part of my Mahoney's sale buying frenzy, I purchased several bonsai planters that I really liked. I had previously purchased bonsai seeds at the T&M seed sale several months ago for $.99. Also bought the bonsai soil for 33% off at Mahoney's. Thought I was all set and friends and relatives would be the astonished recipients of beautiful bonsais by next year. Was I ever wrong! I started researching how to grow bonsais from seeds and unfortunately, don't have the patience to wait for them to grow nor do I have an iota of enough experience to really grow them properly. Now I have these lovely bonsai planters which are only 2 inches deep (5 to 6 inches long and about 4 inches wide) which I'd like to use for something else. I'll still try a couple but they take at least 2 years before you can even put them in the pots. I hope I'm saying this right (I don't want to insult real bonsai experts) but as I understand it, turns out there is really no such thing as a bonsai tree - it is really more a technique for growing and training a lot of different kinds of trees into various artistic shapes (tree could include maples and oaks the seeds for which I could have gotten in my own yard). Has anyone ever used these shallow pots for another kind of plant? Any plants with shallow roots that would be suitable? I can always give the planters away but I like them and would like to use them for something else. Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)