SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

tell us about your indoor garden....now that it really is winter

birdgardner
19 years ago

Hard cold winter seems to be coming later each year doesn't it? (going into geezer mode) 'back when I was a kid, it got cold at thanksgiving and it STAYED cold'

So what have you got inside?

I'm starting to cut branches for flowers - I am in love with wintersweet - so much better inside than out- the perfume....

Trying to make the plants on the kitchen and living room windowsills look good, and not like a bunch of struggling cuttings and over-winterers. Best looking, most flourishing: abutilon, key lime -zillion flowers, no scent, jasmine blooming -scent, yes, passionflower, sweet potato vines in a jar of water. Coleus sad. Elephant ears not great. Toddler likes to tear elephant ears. Bananas good.

Scale, spidermites, and aphids. Sugar ants come from under the door on warm days to gather honeydew. I get fond of sugar ants. Don't like their cows.

Unheated workroom - sliding glass doors covered with ice now, but in my budget greenhouses (old aquarium, plastic storage boxes) night blooming cereus, salvia, brugmansia, fuchsia cuttings await the spring. Occasional attacks of grey mold - get the lime sulfur. But on the whole the plants do well. Older tougher plants don't get the greenhouses but so far so good.

Library calls. Another garden book reserved is in.

Crunch over the frozen ground. Dreaming of summer.

Lisa

Comments (10)