SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sedum37

Flower Shows in 2006

sedum37
18 years ago

Just about this time of year I am so eager to see some garden be it green or flowering... Looking in catalogs, web sites, ordering seeds and such is fun but what I look forward to is the garden and flower shows and then the garden tours in late spring early summer.

Last year we went for a long weekend to Philadelphia for the flower show. Pretty impressive and interesting compared to Boston. (BTW Anyone thinking of going who is near Manchester Airport, Southwest Air had cheap direct flights to Philly - so convenient as long as you don't mind not having a reserved seat). Lots to do in Philly besides the flower show so it is well worth it.

So the only two I've planned so far is the RI Flower Show and the New England Flower Show at the Bayside Expo. It looks like the Hartford CT flower show is the same weekend as the RI show.

Anyone have any plans for flower shows you're going to go to? Web Links? Anyone know of any shows in Baltimore (or near Baltimore?) I may be down in the Baltimore area in March.

How is the Tower Hill Botanical Garden this time of year?

Comments (19)

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Hi Sedum37--You might check out the Central Mass Flower Show in Worcester at what was called the Centrum from Feb. 23-26. They have their own website, if you just Google that term. I think this show is up and coming, tho certainly not on the same level as Boston or Philly. But I'm with you--just need some gardens in my life right now.

Dare I mention I am going to Hawaii soon? Have been researching gardens to visit and am wicked excited!!

• sedum37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ginny12,
    Thanks for the idea but doesn't it stink how they have all the shows the same weekend? It looks like RI Flower Show and Worcester are the same weekend Feb 23-Feb 26. I think I saw that the CT Flower show was that weekend also. They should stagger the weekends more. I guess maybe for the smaller shows they think people won't travel. We usually do the RI Flower show because my mother in law lives on the south shore.

You will like Hawaii. I remember in another post you mentioned you were going there. I posted a link of some of my experiences in Hawaii. Did you ever read it? It didn't have any pictures but I had some references to some gardens (I think anyways...) A little off topic, what islands you plan on visiting? I am so envious...This is definitely the time of year to go...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Trip Log...

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I'll be out of town for the RI show, so I'll have to attend the Boston show instead. It's usually way too crowded for me, but I noticed some great talks on the schedule. Attending the talks gives you a chance to sit down and also a needed break from being jostled and crowded. Gordon Hayward will be speaking on Tuesday, March 14; his talk is titled The Garden at the Front of Your House.

I always shop for seeds at the shows, too, and love to check out the books and "garden art" although I don't usually buy any of it. There are a handful of favorite plants in my garden that I learned about at the Boston show over the years - winter jasmine is one. Some plants just don't look as good in photos as they do in person, so the shows are a great way to check out unusual plants directly.

This year I'm planning to bring my digital camera - I always come home with a scrawled list of plants and no clue what they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: NE Flower Show Lectures

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Dtd,
    I was going to avoid the crowds this year and skip the show but Gordon Haywards lecture sounds great perhaps we can meet and sharpen up each others elbows. Katy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I always hit the Hartford show. It's not the same level as Boston and does vary in quality from year to year but worth it just to smell gardens in February. Too bad it falls on the same weekend as RI. If I was ambitious I could go to both but I also have to work at a heartworm and vaccination clinic in Walpole, MA that Sunday-our rescue group's annual fundraiser.

Unfortunately the Boston show falls on the same week we'll be on vacation. :(

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hartford Flower Show

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I did read your link, Sedum37, and it was really enjoyable. We are going to Oahu and Kauai, renting cars both places. Hawaii has a number of botanical gardens but not too many former private homes with gardens open to the public. But there are a few.

One highlight for me will be Shangri La, Doris Duke's former estate on the other side of Diamond Head. House full of Islamic art and architecture and garden in Islamic style, with spectacular views of the Pacific and Diamond Head. You buy tickets in advance thru the Academy of Arts, Hawaii's fine arts museum, and they take you over in very small groups. Am salivating about this one. Great website with gorgeous photos, if you want to check it out.

On Kauai, the garden highlight for me will be Allerton Gardens, created by a wealthy man from Chicago. You also need reservations in advance here. There's a website, tho not as info-packed as above. We'll be visiting other gardens and historic sites in Hawaii, and yes, we'll hit the beach. But no diving-with-sharks or parasailing for me. I've seen too many disaster movies!!

• sedum37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DiggingTheDirt - We too like the talks at the shows. We especially like to attend the talks at the RI show. The times and topics there always seem to work out the best for us. I am also a big seed buyer at all the shows! There always seems to be some interesting ones that you can't find in the local stores. With the shipping costs and minimum orders for mail order seeds going up each year, this can be a fun way to buy something at the show without breaking the bank! I've brought my digital camera the last few years and it is a good way to record new plants. Trying to get the plant name tag in the photo can be a challenge though...

For the Boston show we usually go the first Saturday around 4:30 PM. Usually by this time the crowds are thinning since people are going to dinner and leaving for the day and people who come at night are not there yet. This has worked well for us especially if there is a little snow in the air (scares off the people afraid of driving in the bad weather). If you want to go during the week you could try this time as well to avoid all the bus tours that attend the show. The only problem with this is missing some of the talks. It seems like the talks at the Boston show are earlier in the day. For the RI show we usually go much earlier in the afternoon and it is never a problem since RI is so much less crowded. I guess that is why we've attended more of the talks there. Everyone has their strategy for avoiding the crowds.

VtSkiers - each year we want to get to CT flower show but always seems to conflict with the RI show or something else. One of these years...

Ginny12 - I hear that Kauai is absolutely beautiful. It is supposed to be the most lush of the islands -- isn't it called the 'Garden Island'? On Oahu we were so moved by the Pearl Harbor memorial. I would highly recommend it even if you are not into World War II history. It is such an important monument and part of our history it shouldn't be missed. You've got to post some pictures and let us know about your trip when you get back. All of us New Englanders need some inspiration this time of year.

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

I googled and definitely all 3 flower shows (CT, RI, and central MA) are the same w/end: Feb 23-26. I was hoping that someone got the dates wrong. What is wrong with the organizers-don't they know gardeners will travel a couple of hours to attend events-I just don't want to do it all in the same w/end. Guess they had better not complain about low attendance. So, I will attend my local show (CT) and have to be satisfied.

Here is a link that might be useful: RI flower show

• GaelicGardener
    18 years ago

The Providence show gets lamer and lamer each year, but... it's in my backyard and I need to smell lilacs in February. This year I'm helping at the booth for the RI Rose Society, so I'll get in for free -- bonus! I know the best time to go to the RI show is Sunday, because they start discounting all of the plants so they don't have to pack them up and bring them home.
    I love the Boston show, it's a St. Patrick's Day tradition for me, my mom and sister. They always have such lovely displays -- very creative.
    Here's a tip if your using a digital camera. Most digital cameras record sound. So you can record the name of the plant when you take a picture of it. Look at your camera's manual and practice now.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Hie thyself to a store and buy the new issue of "People, Places, Plants" magazine. It has a complete rundown of all the flower shows in New England, and there are a bunch more than I ever knew about. It also has a great article about Allen Haskell's son and another landscape designer who will be doing a knock-your-socks-off (sounds like) exhibit at the Boston show. Allen Haskell used to do the most spectacular exhibits at that show and is, of course, now departed this earth. IMHO, no New England gardener can do without this magazine.

And Sedum37, Pearl Harbor is #1 on my list to visit in Hawaii. I am reading "At Dawn We Slept" about the attack right now--chilling. My father was a WW2 vet, two of my uncles were in German prison camps--one shot down over France and one captured in battle. My sister in law's father was on a ship at Pearl Harbor and survived the attack--still with us today. You can be very sure I will visit and pay tribute to my parents' generation, and to those who did not come home.

• sedum37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GaelicGardener -- good tip on the voice option on the digital camera for recording the plant names. I'll have to try that this year.

Ginny12 -- I am glad that you are going to Pearl Harbor! Definitely with your family connections it is even more meaningful. When we travel I too like to read a novel or travel log before going. You get so much more out of the visit. If you have a rainy day while on Oahu I would also recommend the Bishop Museum -- Hawaiian cultural and natural history museum. The other estates and gardens you describe sound fabulous! Have to remember these if we get back there again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bishop Museum Oahu

• fivemeows
    18 years ago

The Maine gardening show in Portland maine is march 9th through the 12th. I have Gone the past 4 years. And last year it was the best bigger and better then ever.

• terryboc
    18 years ago

It seems like a lot of us are going to either Boston or RI shows (or both). We should come up with a button or tag to identify ourselves as GW friends so we can chat if we run into each other at the shows. What do the rest of you think? I may post a new message to ask this question as well.

• GaelicGardener
    18 years ago

Terry -- sounds like a plan! Maybe we could use printer labels and have them say "Are you a Garden Web -ber?" and have the little tree logo and our GW handle on them.
    --Kelly

• auntiedonna2
    18 years ago

In response to wearing name tags. If I am lucky enough make at least one of the shows, I think I'll wear my Gardenweb Tee shirt. I usually take my coat off and I can always slip a turtle neck under the shirt.

• gw:mmqc-2
    18 years ago

Link to Portland show (still under construction)

Here is a link that might be useful: Portland, ME flower show

• wildbill
    18 years ago

Dena and I are planning to help out at the NECPS table at the RI Show. Not sure which day yet. Last year their table was on the 2nd floor, outside the hall.

We really missed the Logees fun. We've been working quite a bit on our house lately - scraped off the popcorn cieling in 4 rooms and the bathroom, are retaping, coating, sanding, then painting. Tomorrow contractors are coming to refinish the hardwood floors in 2 bedrooms and the living room.

We cannot wait until spring - finally a happy home for all those plants from the swap.

Anyway, if any of you do go the RI show, stop by the NECPS table and say hi.

Bill

• sedum37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ginny - I went yesterday to my local garden center and took your recommendation and picked up a copy of "People, Places, Plants" magazine. You are right it gives a great run down of all the flower shows in the area even some in upstate NY which I was unfamiliar with. The articles you mentioned were great. Great suggestion!

Anyone looking for seeds in the local stores they are just starting to put the racks out. I went to Lake St. Garden Center in Salem NH and said they were still putting them out. So far no seeds at the local Home Depot...

• mmqchdygg
    18 years ago

Bumping to provide the Link to PPP Flower Shows

Anyone going to UNH end-of-March?