SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

My Two Year GardenWeb Anniversary and You Guys!

corunum z6 CT
14 years ago

Okay, so theres no cake. But to highlight my special upcoming day, and offer something to our winter-affected forum, IÂd thought IÂd let you know what these two years have meant.

In Jan. of Â08, I had to take down my beloved 85 tall pine tree border involving almost 90 of land. I desperately needed other gardeners (sappy, knowledgeable, or otherwise) to comfort and guide me through a difficult landscaping process thanks to the town tree warden and a tornadic wind Mother Nature blew my way. Through Google, I found GardenWeb. I wrote the thread Pining Over Pines on Jan. 19th and to my surprise, 44 responses came to my need  from all of you. ThatÂs how it began  with tree devastation. Within 2 hours of posting my first thread, Prairiemoon2 responded with a welcome message and questions. I was so glad to Âmeet her. My landscape disaster Âintroduced me to Mad gallica, diggingthedirt, diggerdee, CTLady, Mayalena, Claire, daddymem, terrene, ego45, cloud9, hedy, idabean and so many more. Some of the folks were at the CT swap and faces were put to names. I look around my yard now and see GeorgeÂs Styrax Japonicus that has more than doubled in size from 18 months ago  and bloomed in its first year with me. Before George, I had never heard of Japanese Snowbell. Now I have one.

When ordering seeds two weeks ago, without her knowledge, Prairemoon2Âs words of fondness for Echinacea Primadonna Deep Rose was added to my list of seeds from Swallow Tail Âa place also recommended by another NE forum member. CTlady (my pine tree buddy) had been giving away Obedience Plant at a swap I could not attend, but I ordered seeds because of what NE folks had to say about the plant. Under my office window in red foil-wrapped pots, there is a new Winterberry plant and a Bosnian Pine because Richie, of javaandjazz, wrote a post that HD had a sale just before Christmas, and then Claire chimed in that they also had the pine. I learned about Bluestone Perennials, Knockout Roses, and that Fine Gardening is probably the best garden magazine and that Garden Gate Magazine is worth saving. I subscribe to both because of you guys. I learned that planting more natives is just the best way to go and that winter sowing gives one a lift and many gifts - thanks especially to diggerdee and terrene. IÂve learned that terrene grows better kitty grass than I do. I have learned and learned.

Just this week on another forum, a new GW member admitted to being older, shy, and wanting to meet other gardeners. No, weÂre not Facebook. But this lady mentioned the name of the town in which she lives, and lo and behold, I know someone who just moved to that little town and is an avid gardener! Email on the side, these two gardeners, 325 miles away from me, are now talking, and found out that they live on the same street! Not bad networking. Some people we Âmeet here want to have lunch; others donÂt want to know what you look like. Whatever itÂs a sharing forum that teaches. There are many times that I do not post a question because I think my question may be trite or my mood stinks, so I say to self, "For the love of Mike, look it up yourself." So I donÂt post. What I fail to remember at those times is that someone 40 years younger than I may have no clue as to what to even ask much less look up; so had I posted, a thread discussion just may have helped someone. Posting matters. This post is now so long, I should be serving Asti Spumante. Two years later, I am glad I met Âyou guys and the New England Forum is still very special. Thanks.

And, for those who think my screen name is strange, in Latin, it means One Heart and has a helluva long story to go with it. Not now.

Kindly,

Jane

Comments (7)