SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowlane

Where to start? Is it even POSSIBLE?

slowlane
18 years ago

Hi all. I'm not a total novice to gardening, but my experience (such as it is) is mostly with vegetable gardening. I've done a good bit of reading, but I tend to have little patience with the details of gardening--like what kind of plants like what kind of soil and whether plants can live in my zone :P

As a result, I don't have the BEST of luck with my plants. To further complicate matters, I garden (and everyting else) organically, AND I hate, hate, HATE to weed. (In fact, as a child, I actually grew a weed garden--didn't have to worry about weeding THAT!)

So here's my question (be patient; it's coming): I live on a .77 acre lot that is long and narrow and vaguely pie shaped. There's a city ditch along one property line, old-growth privit hedge (unpruned) along most of two other lines. And there are lots of mature pecan trees along the edges of the property--no chance of taking those down, so don't suggest it.

Other than that, the property was bare when I bought it--any plants or trees that had once grown here had been cut or otherwise disposed of.

I want a beautiful, easy care, no-weeding-required four-season organic garden that is wildlife friendly (I'm in a small town, so my "wildlife" consists of birds, squirrels, 'possums, rabbits and the occasional racoon).

THE QUESTION (finally): where do I start? It all seems SO overwealming. I've lived here 14 years now, and have planted some nandina near the house and some crepe myrtle by the road, some figs and a few other fruit trees (again, on a property line), and started a veggie garden. But I want paths and garden rooms and hard-scapes.

I'm not much of a planner, either, on top of all my OTHER gardening faults. Is there ANY hope for me to have a wonderful garden?

Comments (5)