SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwutzke

Brainstorm a hedgerow in VT

jwutzke
16 years ago

We recently purchased some acreage in VT, and we'd like to plant something parallel to a highway (a low-traffic but 2 lane road) that runs along the western side of the property. I'm thinking some kind of hedgerow closest to the highway, probably set back about 20 or 30 feet, and then inside that (from the perspective of within the property) a row of trees. The basic idea would be to block some noise from and view of the highway from the property -- the highway is in a cut about 5 to 15 feet below the level of the property, running along a distance of about 400 feet.

For the trees I'm thinking of going with sugar maple or beechnut -- good fall color, good size, native. Not sure what to do for the hedge -- as with the trees I'd like something that's native and something that might provide some color (either spring flowering or fall leaves). Also would like something that would provide some wildlife benefits, either habitat or food. And finally, of course, it needs to grow fairly dense to serve as a screen, but I don't want something that's going to require intensive maintenance -- especially since we will be absentee owners for a couple more years.

Ideas? Thoughts? Critiques?

Comments (20)