in search of "white indian paint brush" wild flower

Angelar320

Hello, I'm searching for a white Indian paint brush wild flower for my sons science plant project. we live in Noble, OK and can not seem to find one anywhere. any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agkistrodon(6/7)

Hello.

I am growing Castilleja coccinea from seed and it seems to be fairly easy if you start it w/sedges or grasses in the same pot...it is hemiparasitic meaning that it is somewhat dependent on these for germination and survival. The species you are referring to is the Texas Paintbrush (Castilleja indivisa)...same Genus, different species. It is not really a "white" paintbrush though. Apparently there are variations in flower colour, one of these being white. If you can get to Texas ( and probably right there where you are in OK) one link I found said that you could find them growing along highways though I'm not sure how easy they are to transplant so I'd probably give the seeds a whirl!

The link below is a seed source for them

Here is a link that might be useful: paintbrush seeds

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz TV Houzz TV: First Comes Love, Then Comes a Wildly Colorful Mosaic Home
This couple spent two decades covering their home inside and out with brightly colored mosaic tile, vibrant paint, small toys and more
Full Story
Fun Houzz 31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild
Drugs, sex, excess — the home design industry is rife with stories that will blow your mind, or at least leave you scratching your head
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Wild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story