SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

My first rose, what have I done?

tradewind_64
18 years ago

I went to Gerties (Gerten's) and came home with my usual amount of coreopsis, echinacea, but fell for a rose. "Salmon Impressionist". I thought, "Hey, I can try a rose, if I can stop biting my fingernails, I can do anything!" Bought a little bag of Bone Meal, and some kind of foofy organic rose food. Came home, dug a $40 hole for the $18 plant (I was once an grunt-worker archaeologist so boy, can I dig a hole!), plan to fill it with STORE-BOUGHT bagged soil and not refill the rocky clayish stuff I dug out. Then I thought about the "crown" "bud union" issue. So I came inside to read up on how deep I am supposed to plant this rose. It's a potted rose, so I don't even see a crown. (Bear with me, I'm a rose virgin.) I can't find much about this rose, though.

I will not do the MN tip. I would like to be that person. I would also like to have longer legs and a date with Liam Neeson. In other words, it ain't gonna happen. All plants in my yard have to survive winter in their own skin, I'm not going to Burlington Coat Factory to outfit them for the snowy season. No way, no how, and uh uh. But I really, really would like a rose or two if I can find some to survive my tough love policy.

The questions abound. Did I just waste $18? Does my Salmon Impressionist have a snowball-in-hell chance of survival? Do I need to bury it deeper than it is in the pot? I have a feeling I just got suckered in by a pretty face, which I try so hard not to do...help! Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks! Joanna

Comments (7)

Sponsored