SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Are Norway maple leaves allelopathic or could I (selectively) use

weedlady
12 years ago

We have 2 mature red Norway maples (likely 'Crimson King')in front of our house. We moved here 3 years ago and love the house & yard except for the choice of trees the original owner planted: 4 black walnuts, several ash (whose days are numbered due to the EAB), 4-5 silver maples and three locust (thankfully, neither the thorny kind nor those with pods!!) and a mulberry. I have removed all of the damn Amur honeysuckle and finally, this year, persuaded the neighbor behind us to remove those in his yard that bordered my rear flower beds and donated a gazillion seedlings from the countless berries each year. Yay! We have but 3 decent (IMO) trees: a wild cherry and 2 burr oaks.

ANYway... the Norway maples now have begun dropping their big old leaves like mad (the silvers mostly are done) and I'd love to mow over and collect those as I did the others (except for the walnuts!) and use them as mulch in the flower beds. Since the roots are allelopathic, I am guessing I should expect the leaves to be as well, as I always have heard walnut leaves are, but sure hate to just chop them into the grass as I love to use chopped leaves as mulch. The maples do not seem to affect either the grass (in spite of the shade) nor the (also detestable) English ivy that is planted in a large oval surrounding the maples. Likely the only plant that would grow there; the two deserve each other. All I do is give the ivy a high mowing once a year and keep the vines cut down off the tree trunks.

So--bottom line: can anyone advise regarding the use (or not!) of chopped Norway maple leaves?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner