SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbeuerlein

Asiatic Maple Study for Spring Hardiness

sbeuerlein
16 years ago

I've collected numerous Acer palmatum cultivars, japonicums, shirasawanums, and other species seedlings of things like Acer buergerianum, sieboldianum, pseudosieboldianum, robustum, and snakebarks. Here in SW Ohio, like much of the south and midwest, we suffered a horrendous spring freeze which killed, or killed back many of my plants.

I was thinking that this would be a great (bad) year for compiling notes on which cultivars and species handled a spring cold spell well and which cultivars and species did not. As far as I know, this kind of information hasn't been recorded anywhere before, and isn't so far at least this year.

If everybody here could post how cold they got in April and for how long and how their different plants fared, it would be a start.

For instance, where I live all my maples were almost fully leafed out when the cold struck. It reached into the mid-twenties for five or six nights and hovered just about freezing during the days. Of my palmatum cultivars, "Sango Kaku" was killed. "Garnet" was severely burned back, but "Kamagata," "Koto No Ito," and "Villa Tarrano" did pretty well. Area "Bloodgoods" handled the cold inconsistantly, probably according to siting. "Seiryu" wasn't damaged at all.

Acer robustum and the A. shirasawanum cultivars did well. A. japonicum cultivars die back badly. Acer pseudosieboldianum, A. p. takesimense, and A. sieboldianum died back almost to the ground. The snakebarks mostly did okay. Lost a lot of foliage, but slowly responded...except for "White Tigress."

How did everyone else's plants do?

Scott

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES