SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vja4him

Hardy Outdoor Plants

vja4him
14 years ago

I need some help choosing hardy outside plants for my flower beds and garden. We have no shade, and live in garden Zone #14, Modesto, California, which allows gardening all year. Temperatures have already hit triple digit! I have two flower beds that face the south, and one that faces the north. Yearly low temperatures are usually around 28 degrees F. Usually warms up by sunrise. I have seen the temperature drop down to 22 degrees one year. Highs have reached 118 degrees F.

So far, Ive had good success with some kind of (unknown) prickly fern (very nasty thorns, similar to rose thorns!), which survives even the coldest winters, high winds, and the hottest summers (full sun); geraniums in the full sun (four different kinds), several (unknown) cacti, greens (many kinds). Jades get sunburned so bad, that IÂve had to bring them inside permenantly. Also had to bring in my JosephÂs Coat.

My Bunny Ears also do much better inside. IÂve kept some inside (doing very nicely!), and several outside -- trying to place them under shelves, where they only get about three hours of sun in the morning, and another three hours sun in the afternoon. The Bunny Ears outside are not doing as well as the ones inside, but they are surviving better than the JosephÂs Coat that are outside (potted together with the Bunny Ears in containers).

Several Chain Plants have done well in the heat, but IÂve put them in the flower beds (in pots so I can move them around) that face the north, so they donÂt get sun all day (for now). They get a few hours of sun in the morning, and another few hours in the afternoon. They still do much better inside though. I have some inside too.

My Aspargus Fern that is outside is doing very well in the sweltering heat! WasnÂt sure if it would make it, but has survived temperatures of at least 114 degrees F. this year. My other one inside is not doing so well.

I'd like to have flowers blooming year around, succulents, cacti, and ground covers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Riding 4 Life

http://vj4him.blogspot.com/

Comments (13)