SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flora43

questions from a 3rd year gardener

flora43
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I always have been able to count on your expertise to help me learn. Please take a look at my first (of what I expect will be many) questions of the season. I am located in the east metro.

I've noticed a lot of bulb attrition this spring. Not a lot of squirrels or other animals in the neighorhood at all, but I did see signs of a bunny nearby. Nothing looked to be dug up or bothered though.

1. Why aren't many of the new bulbs I planted last year coming up?

2. Of the ones that bloomed previously, I am getting fewer and fewer buds. I have several bunches of tulip leaves a nothing else. What gives? Are the ones producing only leaves done blooming forever? Same is happening for daffodils.

3. I will need to fix the sporadic layout that has become my spring garden, so can I dig these bulbs up after they are spent this spring and relocate them? If so, do I wait until fall to replant?

4. I also had a lot of winterburn this winter as another poster mentioned. It was on boxwood. It faces east-southeast, with the most severe burn on the southern exposure side. I don't really want to cover them since the whole reason I purchased them for that location was for winter color. I have some others on the northeast side of the house that are doing very well.

Will I have to move them there or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored