SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lukkyseven

3rd year gardner - 1st time poster

lukkyseven
13 years ago

Thanks in advance for reading this. I've been a member of one other garden forum, but that was pretty much a complete was of my time.

So this year I'm determined to fix a few reoccuring issues. Staking/caging is mainly what I'm concerned with.

Tomatoes - tired of the cylindrical cheapo's that you can get from a garden store. I have been looking at some of the square cages, but I'm up in the air. I've read a few things here already about people turning cages upside down and I might actually try that. I'll probably stake and cage this year and see how that goes. I hate letting the veggies sit in the ground so I need to figure something out. Any help is welcome here :)

Peppers - My bell peppers the last few years have been severly stunted. They have produced good tasting peppers the last few years, but they have only grown about 18" tall. I feel as though this is very very small. I might let them try the old tomato cages and see how they do. Anyone have particular opinions on this?

Lastly - this is my first year trying squash and eggplant. Is it beneficial to stake/cage these as well? I have also seen fence type cages that I feel might work well with these (kind of the same that can be used for cukes).

Hope to hear from some people. This place looks much nicer than the last forum I was on, so I'll try to contribute as much as I can - which might not be a ton!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company