SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

3rd Year Asparagus

10 years ago

This is the third year for asparagus in my garden, and the number of spears is slowly rising. Should I cut a few this year, and will that encourage new growth, or should I be patient and wait?

My garden has more shade than optimal, and I am used to working hard to maximize the potential for each crop with careful placement, and timing. But the vegetables I usually grow are annuals. Does a perennial like asparagus have different culture needs? I keep the bed weeded, and usually mulch in the fall with chopped leaves. This year I have compost available mature, and rough. Which would be better?

I have a pea trellis on the north side of the bed, and last year took a plentiful crop of small beets out of the front of the bed, so I know the soil is well drained, and there is sufficient sun to make this location productive. I am always slow to fertilize, but last year I did use a balanced fertilizer once, in the early spring. Reading other posts I see twice a year recommended. Any x-x-x info available?

Comment (1)