SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Price of frozen organic raspberries

paulns
17 years ago

This is my first year doing serious market gardening - last year was sporadic and I sold a lot of produce cheap. Now I'm checking prices on OPX, reading this forum, calling farmer's markets and the supermarkets...

I tried selling fresh raspberries for $8/quart but the look on people's faces had me going down to $6. I have a few customers who want large quantities of frozen raspberries for jam. A quart of berries weighs over a pound, so shouldn't frozen be worth more? Still, I priced them at $4/pound. But these customers seem dismayed at how little they get at $4/pound, i.e., they hear the price and decide to buy less. Given the labour, freezer space and energy involved $4 seems a bargain to me and is competitive with frozen raspberries from Chile. I want to help people out but I hate to sell so cheap.

I have no competition for raspberries. There are two small grocery stores within a 20 mile radius of here, neither sells fresh raspberries, and all their produce comes from at least an hour and a half's drive away. Population is 2 people per square kilometer.

I'm confused and made very uncomfortable by this pricing business. I do have a few great customers who don't question my prices - they're happy to get fresh, local, organic. These customers are from the city, one is the chef at a local resort.

End of this rather disjointed lament :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm