SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joellenh_gw

Let's play The Price Is Right (value of organic produce)

joellenh
13 years ago

I am trying to track my garden harvests on a spreadsheet and would like to put a dollar value on each item so at the end of the year I can show Dave how much our garden has started to pay off in concrete numbers.

All of my produce is organic, so if you have been to a Whole Foods or Farmer's Market or other organic source could you please tell me the approximate prices for the following:

Organic onions (mostly green, the onions were still small/plum sized). I have picked about 8 so far.

herbs...I am just going to take a wild guess and say that we are harvesting $10 worth per month right now. (dill/parsley/cilantro/rosemary/garlic chives/oregano/mint/sage/tarragon) the thyme and basil are still tiny

Pac Choi (i've harvested about 3# this year) Dody bought a bunch yesterday at cherry st (maybe 1/2 lb) for $3 but I am not sure whether it was organic.

spinach (I've also harvested about 3# of this so far. Sams sells a 2# organic tub for four or five bucks so I am going to call this $6

mixed salad greens/lettuces (I've cut about 5# of this so far this year)

strawberries. I think this is going to be my highest dollar item of the list. I have three beds and they are going CRAZY. In late April my kids picked and ate approx 3 pints, and so far this month (8 days) they have picked and eaten another seven pints. They are producing so heavily right now that today alone we picked about two pints, after completely stripping the plants of ripe ones just yesterday.

I will come back and add to this list as new items (tree fruits, blueberries, blackberries, cukes, tomatoes etc) come into season and are picked and eaten.

Thanks for playing along!

Jo

Comments (7)