SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Japanese maple has random branches sticking out another 2' long

Lynn Nevins
14 years ago

I'v had a Japanese maple for maybe 3 years now. It's always been in a pot. I think it is time for me to pot it up. In the meantime, I have noticed that over the past year or so, the plant has had 2-3 branches that have been getting longer and longer. These branches protrude about 2' or so from the bulk of the tree. So it looks rather unattractive to have these random branches jutting out.

I have not cut them back, because it was my understanding that you should never prune a Japanese maple, except in the instance of a broken branch....is that right?

I am guessing that perhaps the tree has become too big for its current pot, and maybe THAT is why some of these branches began to grow so long? Maybe the tree had all this "energy" that it couldn't send anywhere due to the constrictive pot, hence the weird formation of some of the longer branches?

I live in NYC, and assume that now would be a good time of year to pot the plant up? I'd imagine that once I do so, that over time the shape of the plant may begin to correct itself, with the other branches starting to catch up to the longer ones?

Am I right about the no-pruning though? Or IS it OK to prune these particularly longer branches?

Tx!

Comment (1)