SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Help ID 2 Roadside Japanese Maples

drrich2
14 years ago

Hi:

I live in southwestern KY, zone 6. In Hopkinsville, heading down highway 68/80, I pass 2 trees I think are Japanese Maples I'd estimate to be around 15 - 20 feet tall. They are fairly upright in habit, have dissected leaves, and the leaves are mainly a fetching green but here and there we see an 'orange glaze' in portions of the foliage - quite striking. I'd like to plant one or two at my home. I'm guessing they're the same kind of tree, but that's not certain.

I'll post a link to a Photobucket album with my shots & hope that works. The pic titles tell you whether it's Tree 1 or 2 (those I'm trying to identify), or 3, a small Japanese Maple that's of interest for another reason.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/drrich2/Plants/

Tree 1 is growing outward toward the road, seeking the sun. A couple of people standing nearby (owners or neighbors?) didn't know what kind of tree it was.

Tree 2 is growing in a yard where a woman who lives there simply told me it's a 'Japanese Maple,' and didn't seem to know any more about what kind of tree, other than to say it was the same kind as Tree 3 (given her evidently not knowing the cultivar of Tree 2, and the obvious multi-year difference in the trees' ages, I have to wonder whether that's accurate).

Tree 3 looks rather like a Bloodgood, but then I wouldn't know a Bloodgood from a Fireglow, for example, to look at.

So, is my 'dream tree' just a washed out Japanese Maple Tree that's lost the vast majority of its deep red?

Or are Trees 1 & 2 another type of Japanese Maple?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Richard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hopefully link to Photobucket album with the Photos

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!