SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

2004-2005 winter survivors

JohnnieB
19 years ago

I've already posted this in the perennials forum, but since I'm growing some things that are marginal in the mid-Atlantic I thought it might be of interest here:

Several somewhat exotic perennials have survived another cold winter in my zone 7a/b garden, usually with minimal protection (usually some fallen leaves heaped over them or an inch of shredded bark mulch):

Agapanthus: "Headbourne Hybrids", grown from seed, have been completely hardy (if deciduous) through 3 winters with no mulch at all. Several seedlings are putting out new foliage. I also have a hardy cultivar ('Bressingham Blue', I think) that I planted last year that is coming up.

Ferns: Adiantum capillus-veneris is coming up late as always; Thelypteris kunthii has survived its third cold winter, but again is a late riser.

Impatiens omeiana: not surprised that it survived the winter so much as that it survived at all. I planted it in a spot that stayed too dry for its liking last year, and then it got shaded out by surrounding plants. I assumed it was too weak to survive the winter but I'm glad I was wrong. Once it puts out a bit more growth I'll move it to a spot where I can keep a closer eye on it and water it more easily.

Ficus pumila: not properly a perennial, but I planted a few in various spots around my garden last year just as an experiment. One of them actually survived the winter (under fallen leaves) with healthy green foliage (all unprotected parts died).

Titanotrichum oldhamii: a very nice hardy gesneriad from Taiwan and southern China, sprouting after surviving its third winter in my garden with only a light mulch. There is no reason for this subtropical plant to be hardy but Plant Delights has been selling it as a zone 7b plant, and at least one grower in Virginia who I shared it with has it coming up as well. Yucca Do is marketing this plant as "golden foxglove" for its brilliant yellow-orange flowers. This is the only gesneriad that I have found to be reliably hardy so far.

Zantedeschia 'Whipped Cream': I'm really impressed with this one. It's hardy, it has attractive foliage, it comes up and leafs out as early as most of my perennials, has good foliage all summer long and looks good well into October or even November. I would only wish for more flowers, but even without them it has a nice elephant-ear look.

Meanwhile on my "want list" are several new Begonia species from China that are supposed to be hardy but I'm not sure I'm ready to pay $20+ for them yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2004 plant photos

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH